1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

VF 2 Viewfinder

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fastcar888, Apr 4, 2011.

1. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    What are your experiences with it? Is it helpful? I am inclined to buy one once B & H gets them in stock. Thoughts?

2. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    If u use manual focus lenses, makes alot of sense.
    - bright sunlight
    - more stable as u hold at eye level like dslr
    - very bright, large magnification and great resolution, most of time don't even have to zoom in
    Hope that helps

3. yoshi

yoshi Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    Coming from SLR, I find changing from viewfinder to LCD screen awkward. It also make phototaking more discrete with VF2. You can position it vertically. Price isn't cheap though.

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

very valuable to me. Especially with adapted manual lenses

5. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    one of the best things you can add to the pen's, very helpful with framing when shooting with longer zoom lenses.

6. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    agreed with everyone. with adapted lens using manual focus. i find it much easier with a vf2. i started with using lcd when using my canon fd 50mm. more than half of my shots out of focus. after using the vf2 his weekend, only about 1/4 of my shots were out of focus.

7. aericj

aericj Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
    I am uncomfortable framing with LCD coming from DSLR, although I have to admit that it is very quick and convenient sometimes. I really like the VF2, but wish it had a bit more tension in the "hinge". It allows you to hold the camera steady against your face - or even high on your chest with the VF2 tilted back - for support and an added degree of discretion while shooting.

Also, shooting my daughter's play in the dark with the VF2 was much less distracting to other audience members than the bright LCD on the back of the camera. Wish there was some way to turn off the bright blue LED "on" beacon in these circumstances, though... had to keep my finger over it wen I could.

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I really like the vf2 as well. I have one on each of my cameras. The only time I don't use it is occasional flash usage and some macro stuff.

Gordon

9. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    If you came from DSLR, I think its an almost must have... if you upgraded from P & S then you can live without it... however it could take your PEN use to another level.:cool:

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Very good if you need reading glasses since the VF2 has a diopter adjustment. I just got an adapter and started using my old Pentax lenses and it's so much better than the LCD for MF. A lot of cheap legacy glass out there at places like KEH.com.

11. Andrew Riddell

Andrew Riddell Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2010
    London
    Agreed, especially if you get the EP-9 eyecup as well.

Andrew

12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Awesome piece of kit... don't hesitate.

13. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    I'm coming from a P+S. I bought the VF2 about the same time I got my EPL2. Really came in handy a few times when I was shooting outdoors (because I couldn't see the screen).

However, I am going against the grain here and I'm going to say I actually prefer to shoot without the VF. The VF2 screen itself looked a little bit grainier than the LCD, and if I'm messing with the scroll wheel I usually find myself backing off the VF anyway to see which button my thumb is hitting.

As far as being more inconspicuous, I would think holding the camera up to your face is a more obvious. Sometimes if I want to catch a quick discreet streetshot, i'll pre-set the camera then snap a picture at about stomach level.

Note that I am still a newbie, and I take a lot of my shots on auto.

14. jfranek

jfranek New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2011
    Hello guys,

I just bought the VF-2. It is a nice gadget, bright and sharp. But mine is too bright and the image is almost bluish and very unnatural. I can bring the brightness down a bit with the LCD adjustment, but it still looks bluish and unnatural.

Are yours similar or is mine faulty?

Thanks
    Joe

15. Augsburg57

Augsburg57 New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2010
    Seattle, WA USA
    I prefer to use the VF-2, over the LCD screen on my EP2 for certain useses. I find it more comfortable to hold my camera closer in to my chest and peer down through the VF-2. I find the camera with VF-2 is less obtrusive and less noticeable for street photography than holding a camera up to your face to peer through a viewfinder, or worse, hold it out at arms length to frame with the LCD screen.

16. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Hi Joe. Welcome to the forums. Both my viewfinders are very good. Colour and brightness are excellent and accurate. I'd check the menus. The ability to change the viewfinder in both brightness and colour is in there somewhere. The VF2 is one of the best available.

Gordon.

17. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Can I expand this a bit?

Any eyeglass wearers using the eyecup?

18. jfranek

jfranek New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2011
    Hello Gordon,

I am definitely not 100% happy with my VF-2. All light colours are blown and appear white/bluish.
    Unfortunatelly the brightness and colour temperature can't be adjusted from the XZ-1 menus. I would send it back to Olympus, but we are going for a long holiday soon and their turnaround is 20 working days. So it will have to wait.

However, as a matter of interest, is it possible to alter the brightness and color temp significantly from the menu of your PENs? Or is it just a minor adjustment? I am trying to assess if my unit needs adjustment or replacement.

But appart from the above, I like the VF-2 for another reason. I wear specs. To see the LCD clearly I would have to put on my reading specs, but with the VF-2 and diopter adjustment I can use my long distance specs.

Joe

19. hwyhobo

hwyhobo New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2011
    Does the VF-2 simulate effects of the exposure? In other words, when you adjust settings in the camera (say, in manual mode), do you see the effects of those settings in the display? I am thinking of getting E-PL2 with the VF-2, but this is important for me. I used to own Panny G1, it had a non-defeatable autogain (viewfinder always looked the same, no matter what you did to the camera), it drove me nuts, and I sold it.

20. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    The PENs have a Live View Boost setting, turn it off and the image on the LCD and VF-2 will be fairly accurate; that is, you will see the affects in real-time when you change white-balance, exposure compensation, etc.