1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

VF-2 Questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Fred S, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    I have an E-PL1 and there is an VF-2 for sale locally.
    As you all know an LCD is NOT the greatest for taking pictures
    The question is .
    Is looking through the VF-2 similar to looking through a camera
    with an optical viewfinder like my E-520 ?
    Is it more clear than the E-PL1 LCD ?

Thanks in advance

Fred..

2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Its not like looking through an optical finder, but its easier than trying to ascertain focus from the E-PL1's screen. Think of it as looking at a very high resolution LCD through a short tunnel. I find the VF-2 essential for using the E-PL1 90% of the time I use it outside during daylight hours for composition, exposure and focus confirmation. Indoors, unless I'm using legacy lenses I can get by with the LCD.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It's not like looking through a good OVF (BTW, the E-520 is not a good OVF). In some situations its better such as being able to zoom in for manual focus assist and worse in that low light is less than ideal. It is a lot higher resolution than the LCD on the E-PL1. When I had that combo I found it made the E-PL1 a lot more useful. The flip up feature of the VF2 is handy.

4. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    Also remember that all of the screen info display options are available in the vf as you shoot. I have found that it makes the camera - hardly ever off my E pl2.

5. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Its like moving out whag tou see in the screen. BEfore to that vf2, for those who like shooting in a bright day and often use a legacy manual lens vf2 is their God

Sent from my GT-I9100 using E-3

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    +1 on that, it IS very nice for legacy lenses in bright sun.

7. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    I am comparing it to my E-520, because that is the only Camera I have and have used. Saying that The OVF on my E-520 to me is OK. If the LCD with the VF-2 is a higher resolution on the E-PL1 and an improvement over my E-520
    I will grab it.

Thank you VERY Much for all the replys

8. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Glad you decided to go for it! The VF-2 has made a real improvement in my shooting with the E-PL1. It is a higher resolution, larger display than the camera LCD and is automatically "shaded" from outside light by virtue of being a VF. It is possible to MF legacy lenses using the VF-2 and not have to hit the magnify button, although when I have time to double check focus by magnifying I still do.

As dixeyk mentioned already, the flip-up feature can be very useful for shooting at different angles.

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I had an E520 and I found the OVF like looking through a toilet paper roll. If that's what you're comparing it to you'll love the VF2 (it's also something like 4x the resolution of the LCD on the back of the E-PL1).

10. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I had an E-620 and now an E-PL2 and VF-2. The VF-2 is a big screen TV compared to the E-620 peephole.

Lee

11. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Also, it will probably feel more familiar as your used to shooting with a viewfinder. I found that it helped to stabilize my stance as I was no longer holding the camera out at arms length, and it's easier to make minor adjustments for framing. Optically I'm sure you will notice a difference as well.

12. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I concur with most of what has been said. I have the E-PL1 as well and never use it without the VF-2, especially with the legacy manual focus lenses. After using the PL1 + VF2 combo for several months, I could not use the OVF on my E-500 (too small and murky), and shortly thereafter sold my good old Oly DSLR and most of my four thirds gear to go 100% :43:.

13. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Ditto. Mine stays on my EPL1 permanently....

14. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Just sold my epl1, and I'm sure it will be more fun using vf2 with epl2

Sent from my GT-I9100 using E-3

15. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    Thank you again every one.
    I took a look at it . Put it on my E-PL1
    Viewed with the VF-2
    1 minute later " I'll take it "
    I now have one. :biggrin:

Fred..

• Like Like x 3
  16. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Congrats...
    And now the only thing left for you to find is an adapter and some legacy glass.

17. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    it took you a whole minute ??! lol congrats !

18. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    My eye is not the best. ( I only have 1 that works )
    So I rely on the camera AF
    I have a Viltrox JY-35F adapter coming for my 4/3 lenses
    14-42 Kit 14-54 MK1 40-150 Kit and 70-300

19. vvc

vvc New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2012
    so I take it, this viewfinder, it's pretty close to an optical on like an old rebel xsi or e300 four thirds...really helpful reading these posts

20. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I just discovered another reason I use it over the LCD, the peripheral text is focused at infinity. With my glasses I can see everything perfectly close-up in the VF-2 but the LCD has to be held at a distance (>2 ft with glasses, or <6 inches with them off) before I can read it.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.