1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

VF-2 Questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Fred S, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    I have an E-PL1 and there is an VF-2 for sale locally.
    As you all know an LCD is NOT the greatest for taking pictures
    The question is .
    Is looking through the VF-2 similar to looking through a camera
    with an optical viewfinder like my E-520 ?
    Is it more clear than the E-PL1 LCD ?

Thanks in advance

Fred..

2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Its not like looking through an optical finder, but its easier than trying to ascertain focus from the E-PL1's screen. Think of it as looking at a very high resolution LCD through a short tunnel. I find the VF-2 essential for using the E-PL1 90% of the time I use it outside during daylight hours for composition, exposure and focus confirmation. Indoors, unless I'm using legacy lenses I can get by with the LCD.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It's not like looking through a good OVF (BTW, the E-520 is not a good OVF). In some situations its better such as being able to zoom in for manual focus assist and worse in that low light is less than ideal. It is a lot higher resolution than the LCD on the E-PL1. When I had that combo I found it made the E-PL1 a lot more useful. The flip up feature of the VF2 is handy.

4. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    Also remember that all of the screen info display options are available in the vf as you shoot. I have found that it makes the camera - hardly ever off my E pl2.

5. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Its like moving out whag tou see in the screen. BEfore to that vf2, for those who like shooting in a bright day and often use a legacy manual lens vf2 is their God

Sent from my GT-I9100 using E-3

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    +1 on that, it IS very nice for legacy lenses in bright sun.

7. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    I am comparing it to my E-520, because that is the only Camera I have and have used. Saying that The OVF on my E-520 to me is OK. If the LCD with the VF-2 is a higher resolution on the E-PL1 and an improvement over my E-520
    I will grab it.

Thank you VERY Much for all the replys

8. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Glad you decided to go for it! The VF-2 has made a real improvement in my shooting with the E-PL1. It is a higher resolution, larger display than the camera LCD and is automatically "shaded" from outside light by virtue of being a VF. It is possible to MF legacy lenses using the VF-2 and not have to hit the magnify button, although when I have time to double check focus by magnifying I still do.

As dixeyk mentioned already, the flip-up feature can be very useful for shooting at different angles.

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I had an E520 and I found the OVF like looking through a toilet paper roll. If that's what you're comparing it to you'll love the VF2 (it's also something like 4x the resolution of the LCD on the back of the E-PL1).

10. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I had an E-620 and now an E-PL2 and VF-2. The VF-2 is a big screen TV compared to the E-620 peephole.

Lee

11. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Also, it will probably feel more familiar as your used to shooting with a viewfinder. I found that it helped to stabilize my stance as I was no longer holding the camera out at arms length, and it's easier to make minor adjustments for framing. Optically I'm sure you will notice a difference as well.

12. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I concur with most of what has been said. I have the E-PL1 as well and never use it without the VF-2, especially with the legacy manual focus lenses. After using the PL1 + VF2 combo for several months, I could not use the OVF on my E-500 (too small and murky), and shortly thereafter sold my good old Oly DSLR and most of my four thirds gear to go 100% :43:.

13. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Ditto. Mine stays on my EPL1 permanently....

14. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Just sold my epl1, and I'm sure it will be more fun using vf2 with epl2

Sent from my GT-I9100 using E-3

15. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    Thank you again every one.
    I took a look at it . Put it on my E-PL1
    Viewed with the VF-2
    1 minute later " I'll take it "
    I now have one. :biggrin:

Fred..

• Like Like x 3
  16. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Congrats...
    And now the only thing left for you to find is an adapter and some legacy glass.

17. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    it took you a whole minute ??! lol congrats !

18. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    My eye is not the best. ( I only have 1 that works )
    So I rely on the camera AF
    I have a Viltrox JY-35F adapter coming for my 4/3 lenses
    14-42 Kit 14-54 MK1 40-150 Kit and 70-300

19. vvc

vvc New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2012
    so I take it, this viewfinder, it's pretty close to an optical on like an old rebel xsi or e300 four thirds...really helpful reading these posts

20. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I just discovered another reason I use it over the LCD, the peripheral text is focused at infinity. With my glasses I can see everything perfectly close-up in the VF-2 but the LCD has to be held at a distance (>2 ft with glasses, or <6 inches with them off) before I can read it.

• Like Like x 1