1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Vf-2 or wait for OMD?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by homerusan, Mar 15, 2013.

1. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    i am really confused with buying second hand vf2 for 170$ or wait 4-5 months to get omd. Pls help me i just need a small impact:)

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If you think you want/need the EVF, then I'd get the VF-2 now. Doing that shouldn't preclude upgrading to the OM-D down the road, but you'll have it to use in the meantime. When it's time to move to the OM-D you can re-sell the VF-2 to help fund that purchase. Or, you could even USE the VF-2 on the OM-D, though that seems a little wacky to me.

The only risk of doing that is that rumor has it that Olympus is going to be announcing an improved VF (the VF-5?) in the next few months. When that happens, I would expect it to impact the resale price of the VF-2. Even still though, I don't think the VF-2 value will completely bottom out -- my guess would be that worst case you could re-sell it in 6 months for $120, which means it would have cost you $50 to essentially "rent" for 6 months.

3. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I'm in market too for EVF

I too have an EPL2 (refurb) to use with my legacy glass, however I'm looking at the VF3 as a cheaper alternative ($159 new) as this isn't my primary body (other is a G3) and is my travel camera. I love what I've seen of the OMD but the G3 fits my purposes perfectly. I would get the EV2, and in a few months decide on the OMD (look at the refurbs on Cameta - great prices), then keep the Epl2 as your second body.

4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I'm pretty much in the same camp as others: I have a VF-2 for my E-PL5, and I have an E-M5 as well. The VF-2 is a nice little piece of kit to have and dumb as it looks on the E-M5 it can be used there for it's ability to tilt up for that otherwise "impossible" shot to frame.

If you can afford to have the VF-2 and your upcoming OM-D model (maybe the new one will be out by the time you buy?) the VF-2 stays useful. I use it on the E-PL5 when I shoot a two camera kit at outdoor events. I put the wide lens on the E-PL5 and the tele on the E-M5 (for it's stabilizer). The VF-2 lets me frame the E-PL5 in bright light.

5. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    well thanks for the answers. Because of i dont think to sell my e-pl2, vf2 will be a long term item for me.

6. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    I have had the VF-2 for 2+ years; bought it for my first m4/3 camera [EP2, since sold] and now I use it on my OM-D constantly. Why? Because the flip-up feature is invaluable for framing if the camera is down low near the ground, or I am looking up at the sky and don't want the glare from the sun in my peripheral vision. Also for street photography you can look down, point the camera sideways and be less visible to your subjects [used to do that with 35mm SLRs that had a removeable pentaprism]. And somehow I find the VF-2 easier to focus in manual mode than the built-in EVF of the OM-D. Horses for courses. And I like the retro look it lends to the OM-D... just nostalgic, I guess.