VF-2 or VF-3 for the E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by asaulo1, Feb 23, 2012.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I've been browsing ebay for the vf-2 and vf-3 and it seems that the vf-3 is currently cheaper than the older vf-2. Anyone using the vf-3 on an e-pl1? I've only seen people use the vf-2 on it and was wondering what the difference is. I've already upgraded the firmware of my camera to 1.2 for the vf-3 just in case...... thanks.

2. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    I honestly see no reason to buy a VF3 unless you are strictly worried about price. You can get a used VF2 around $180 (occasionally even less) and the higher resolution and magnification are worth it in my opinion.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, the fact that the VF3 locks is nice. There are times when I wish the VF2 did (like when I knock off taking it out of my bag). BUT...I would tend to agree that the resolution and higher magnification make it worth the trade off.

4. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    +1 to that.

Here are the prices on eBay:

Olympus vf-2 | eBay

Amazon:

Amazon.com: Olympus VF-2

OR

you can find MINT 2nd hand VF-2's here in the forum.

:2thumbs:

5. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    ...and at great prices if you are patient! I scored mine from this forum for $165 shipped!! :thumbup:

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the resolution difference is NOT subtle. Get the VF2.

7. I always figured the price of the VF-2 was too much for me given that I am mostly happy to use the LCD but if you're prepared to do some re-selling, a good value way to get a VF-2 is from an E-P2 kit. So far I've sold the 17mm lens from the one I bought (already got a 17mm of my own) so I'm down to a VF-2 and an E-P2 body for a total outlay of $210. And I'm going to sell the E-P2 eventually as well, honest...

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    All very good advice here, but nobody directly answered your question yet. :)

The difference between the two and the reason why the VF-2 is more expensive, is that the VF-2 is a higher grade item with greater resolution and view size. The technical difference in resolution and magnification is this...

VF-2: 100% coverage, 1.44 million dot resolution, 1.15x magnification (same magnification as the Olympus E-5 pro-grade DSLR)
    VF-3: 100% coverage, 906k resolution, 1.00x magnification (same magnification as the Olympus E-30 semi-pro DSLR)

The VF-2 also has better, and more accurate color. The VF-3 however, has a locking mechanism which prevents it from being slipped off without pressing a button first. The two complaints about the VF-2 were the ease of losing it and the cost of purchase. Both of those issues were addressed by the cheaper (lower-grade) VF-3 with lock. Both viewfinders can be used at variable angles up to 90 degrees.

For what it's worth, I prefer the VF-2. But I do a lot of manual focus and photography is my living. I need the best view I can get. Just like in the days when I used DSLRs, I would always pay for the pro-grade DSLR with large bright pentaprism viewfinder, instead of the cheap enthusiast DSLR with small, dark, pentamirror viewfinder. That's an important distinction to many of us, but I can't speak for your needs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
  10. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia

couldn't agree more, now I just find out how it feels to find 'view' at E5 in my epl1, however from what you experience the vf3 is offering the e30 view which is also good rather than exxx dslr. Nice info ned

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L1

11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would go with the VF2 primarily for the resolution.

As to securing it to the camera, I use those "lens cap keeper 2" straps that has one end that sticks and the other end has a loop designed to hook onto the neck strap. It keeps the vf2 attached to the camera when accidentally knocked off. Saved it twice already.