1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

VF-2 on E-P3 how bad is the quirks?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by zerotiu, Oct 11, 2011.

1. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    Hi I'm a new E-P3 owner. I want to ask about the viewfinders

I need viewfinder. VF-2 is the only choice because Vf-3 is still not available here. Sadly this 'new' thing can be tried because it's new.

I've read phoblographer and search in this forum that vf-2 has quirk.
    - Using touchscreen when vf-2 on
    - some blackout ?

I want to know more.. is it that bad? Some guys said that better use vf3 on ep3 but I found also in this forum that we must stay from vf3 because it's so contrast and far worst than vf2

Thx,
    Matthew

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    This has not yet been resolved with an Oly firmware update. The current solution is to disable the touchscreen when using the VF-2. For me, this hasn't been a big deal... the rear display is good enough for me to use outdoors in most cases and, when I do need to use the VF-2, I am not feeling like I need touchscreen functionality.

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I have no problem using my VF-2 on the E-P3. Some users complain that it fits too loosely, that it falls out sometimes. Not mine. It fits snuggly. Don't have blackout issue either.

I haven't used the touchscreen with the VF-2 fitted on the E-P3, so maybe it's a quirk that I haven't found out yet...

4. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    how about the battery? some say that vf-2 draining a lot of battery than using lifeview. In my opinion that's just ridiculous but I found a few posts on dpreview and some other sites say the same. How is your experience?

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I haven't done any test on this, but I doubt if the vf-2 will drain more battery than the VF-3. Besides, I cannot imagine the tiny viewfinder display draining more battery than the LCD display on the back of the camera.

As a reference, I took over 800 photos on my weekend trip last week, with the VF-2 on about half of the time, using just 2 batteries (although they were both drained at the end). :wink:

6. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    That's 400 shots if VF-2 always on. It's nice..

Or maybe the battery drain only happens on e-p2? I don't know..

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The VF-2 was on about half the time...

8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    A +1 on this for the PM1. Nice and snuggly. I doubt it would ever fall off.

You can also adjust the brightness of the viewfinder. May give you a bit more battery life.

9. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    This is the boat that I am in, to be honest. While the touch screen is useful for selecting focus points when I use the rear LCD to frame an image, I haven't needed to use it once since I started using the VF-2. Toe be blunt about it, the VF-2 is much more useful than the touch screen capability, IMO.

10. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I use both. Never felt the need to turn the touch screen 'off'. If the controls stop functioning, I know I'm touching the screen when using the VF. I stop touching the screen (usually it's my big nose!), and all is well.

Seriously...no big deal.

11. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Oh, I never actually turned the screen off - I just don't use it to pick my AF points. So far, I haven't experienced any problems with the VF-2 blacking-out. (But it's something I'll watch for from now on, and turn the screen off if it becomes a problem - I don't use it when the VF-2 is not he camera anyway).

12. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    changing focus by touching the screen? Can't we just roll the focus point with the button? (like DSLR)

I just spent last 2 days with my friend e-p3. Mine will arrive on friday :D. So now I just realize that I haven't tried to change AF points with buttons.. I think it can..