1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

VF-2 is here...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Exposed, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    I received my VF-2 yesterday and have played with it some. I like it very much, feels a little cheap though. Very light and feels like if you put very much pressure on it, it will break. Over all it helps with framing, I am used to a viewfinder (found myself tying to look through a viewfinder when there was not one on the pen) so this will help. Going to give it a work out this weekend so maybe more photos next week. A bit on the expensive side but well worth it.

Randy

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Good that it's working for you. I tried mine for a while but then decided to sell it. It looks awkward and doesn't lock into hot shoe. It also cheapens the look of my E-PL2. On top of that, the circle is quite small, I found myself using LCD most of the time even in the sun. I didn't find it a good investment for the money, I'd rather put the funds towards new lenses which at least hold value over time. My guess is that this expensive and overpriced VF-2 will be quickly depreciated once new bodies with built-in viewfinders come out. The only time I used VF-2 is with legacy MF lenses which I don't use anymore. My conclusion is that if I want a viewfinder it must be built-in for sure.

3. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    i recently got the EP-9 eyecup. it's kind of expensive for a piece of rubber, but it makes the VF-2 a lot more comfortable.

4. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

What I love about the VF-2 is that angling it up 45 degrees lets me hold the camera at a perfectly natural height, much more comfortable and steady than looking through a viewfinder held up to eye level.

Even if the rumored E-P3 has a built-in EVF, I'd have a hard time giving up the VF-2.

5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I love the VF-2 but have come very close to losing it a couple of times! Why they never made it click-lock I have no idea (the cynic in me would say it helps with repeat sales!) :rolleyes:

6. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    True. Especially when the hot-shoe has a hole to secure the strobes on.

7. TimHenrion

TimHenrion New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2011
    Boston, MA USA
    I got mine yesterday and I'm using small pieces of Gaffer's Tape on the front and sides to hopefully keep it from going AWOL.

8. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I might have to start taping mine on as well. I use a small sling strap I made so the camera is on my hip, but don't have the courage to leave the VF-2 on while it's there - this means having to dig into my pocket to put it on every time I want to use the camera.... not good.

9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I'm beginning to think mine is defective as it stays in and is quite tight, takes effort to insert and remove from hotshoe. I leave it on all the time and it never seems to loosen or slip out. It's like this on both e-pl1 and e-p2.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yours probably is defective Grinch, but in a good way. :) Hang onto that viewfinder, as you probably won't find another one with such a snug fit.

I find that with many hotshoe accessories, some fit too snug, some don't fit snug enough.

11. xanaduflipper

xanaduflipper Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mine fits tight into my e-pl1, never had any trouble with it.

wouldn't be without mine, it's a must for bright sunny days and using with adapted manual focus lenses.

12. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Mine is a snug fit as well, it's been about a week and a half now - I'm actually loathe to remove it constantly because I'm concerned about the actual interface plug (the one that gets the video feed from the camera itself) getting worn or broken.

13. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Lucky man - Fancy a straight swap? (I'll pay shipping). :biggrin:

14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    What about tightening your hotshot a little, making it slightly smaller? And for once, I think I will settle for defective, as it works in my favor. Although you have me thinking about putting an idiot string on my EVF...just like mom used to put on my mittens.

15. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    Mine too fits nice - not too loose, not too tight. For me it's a must-have accessory and one of the reasons I went with a Pen.

16. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Someone mentioned idiot strings - for the folks who are using keeper cables, what are you using and if it's DIY, please show pics! Thanks!

17. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Tape that toe

My VF came out of the hot shoe one evening as I was shooting sunsets, and fell 12 stories from our balcony at the beach condo rental!

Fortunately, it landed on the grass, undamaged, and I was able to find it the next morning when I realized it was missing.

My solution now is to make it a little bit snugger by putting some black electrical tape over the tip of the foot that slides into the shoe. Just the toes, not the whole foot, or it will be too snug and it will pull the spring out of the hot shoe when you remove it. Less likely to bump out accidentally now.

Wow, that macro filter on the Rokkor 28 picks up every little dog hair and dust speck!

18. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    A lucky escape indeed! :eek: More than one lucky escape in that:

1. It never broke

2. It never rained

3. Someone never stepped on it

4. Someone never found it and wandered off with it wondering what it was

It's not that my own is really loose, but it's just not 'trustworthy.' I'll give the tape a try and see if it inspires any more confidence...

19. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I'll never take mine off, and wish it had a locking pin or some other way to make the attachment permanent.