1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

VF-2, how can I live, without you?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kosta, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    I noticed something today, maybe even more than one thing; what I wanted to write about was the flexibility of the VF-2. wow

I have gotten so used to tilting this baby up to look through that I found it almost frustrating to take a tripod shot off my mother's Nikon D40x..."what do you mean I have to get down to look through the viewfinder?!"

probably not worth sharing, but it's a definite m4/3s plus! (as much as I love a viewfinder of the optical type.

• Like Like x 3
  2. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    You can't live without it!

3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    i use it like this 90% of the time too, even when I've got the long zoom on ... now, all we need is a nice frosted glass viewing screen that flips out the top of the camera ...

• Like Like x 1
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree 100%. I took my EPL-1 one on a short outing and left the VF2 off. I won't be doing that again.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    This may be out of school, but have you checked out a Nex? I was resistant to them until I tried that screen. It flips up (not out like most articulating screens) and I shoot with that camera like I used to shoot with a TLR as a kid. Except that stuff on the Nex screen moves the way you'd expect it to instead of backwards. And in its "sunny weather" mode its bright enough for really comfortable viewing even in bright sunlight. Its lacking in lenses for sure, but if you want that old TLR shooting experience, I haven't found anything else like it.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  6. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    Me too, felt handicapped without it on my manual lenses even on a higher resolution and larger LCD on epl2...plus better posture for stability. Most of time din even need to magnify. Best accessory if one is into manual lens/manual focusing. IMO

7. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    I have a Sony DSC-H50 (bridge cam) with their articulating 3" screen. It really is super nice.

I just ordered my VF-2 through Staples with the discount. $180 shipped! Can't beat that deal. Theres people on CraigsList locally selling them for $200ish.

8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    It is a security blanket for me. I like knowing it is there, but I'm trying to wean myself away from a viewfinder. I'm trying to make myself grab-snap shots as well, like looking at an analog watch. Pick it up, quickly frame and fire.

I never hear much about the old SLR rule of bracing a camera properly. Instruction manuals used to have a page or two on how to hold the camera. With mirrorless, that seems to have gone out the window (or at least changed dramatically). The more you extend your arms, the more vibration you induce, even your heartbeat vibration is amplified. In theory then, using the VF would result in steadier shots, right?

9. Ihavenewfs

Ihavenewfs Mu-43 Regular

Thanks to you the other day I did the same thing. It's being delivered to my local Staples store for free and I pick it up tomorrow.

Now all I need is the camera:rolleyes:

Marie

10. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    sorry, Ray, my tongue was firmly in my cheek ... I was thinking Rolleiflex :smile:

11. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    get a 90 degree vf extension from ebay. It will give you more mag also. I have one for my canon's. But now with the 60D, I do not uses it as much. Love that swivel lcd for tripod work.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mgkaplan

mgkaplan New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2011
    I just ordered my VF-2 through Staples with the discount. $180 shipped! Can't beat that deal. Theres people on CraigsList locally selling them for $200ish.[/QUOTE]

How does one get the discount?

13. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
  14. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    can you throw us link to an example ... I don't get what you mean!