1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

VF-2 Behavior

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Covey22, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Hi Folks,

I'm still getting used to this great accessory, but I need to confirm a behavior I've been noticing now. I never noticed this behavior before and I've put a lot of shoot time in the field.

The VF is mounted on an E-PL1 and I mostly use the Panny 20mm/1.7. I know that the camera will open the aperture iris on the lens fully in order to start the AF process (to let in the maximum amount of available light for the Contrast Detect system), but what I see in the VF is that the scene brightens briefly during that time, presumably because the sensor is responding to the increase in light - it's almost as if the scene is washing out, then the iris closes down once AF is achieved and the contrast returns to normal. The effect is also noted in the LCD.

Thanks!

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I think that's a "function"

It does change (at least on other lenses I have) depending on the lighting environment, dark is bigger aperture, and bight light closes down more automatically for the LCD live view.

I do know that with other Olympus 4/3 and µ4/3 lenses- the live view (as it used to be called when they had optical view finders) would limit the f-stop to f2.8, and not show you anything under that. To view it under that you had to make a short cut button for the DOF preview. My E-P2 has the ability to do this, I have to press it inorder to view f/1.8 on my Sigma 24mm with 4/3 adapter.

But is the final image that's taken not blown out and normal?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Thanks! Final images are fine, it's just when AF'ing that when the iris opens all the way that the viewfinder "blooms" until AF is achieved, then the lens stops down to the taking aperture, and everything returns to normal contrast levels. It's not as noticeable via rear LCD. I think it's normal, but I wish I had the evaluation GF-2 I was using a few days ago to confirm...

4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I've noticed this on my E-PL1 as well. I think it only does this when the current aperture (even when wide-open) is "dark" and it needs to open up fully to AF. It's not really a VF-2 behavior though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Thanks folks. I think I'm reassured that this is normal behavior. :thumbup: