1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

VF-2 back in stock...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Exposed, May 4, 2011.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
  2. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Thanks!

3. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    I'm sad to report that I have become the latest victim of the "In Stock but actually not" syndrome that seems to be plaguing Olympus Americas' Store. I got my order in yesterday, and got a complete confirmation. Called today to see if they could provide me a shipping number and was told by Customer Support that it was actually out of stock and the system should not have allowed my order. Ah well. Guess it wasn't meant to be. Saves me $250 bucks though, so that's a good thing I guess...

4. eames

eames New to Mu-43

May 7, 2011
    Montreal
    I wonder when the VF-1 will come back in stock, I hate to buy off ebay!

5. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    I signed up on Amazon - when they're back in stock, they're pricing $251.00 with free shipping. We'll see...

6. eames

eames New to Mu-43

May 7, 2011
    Montreal
    Anyone know of any alternatives to the VF-1? I really feel like there has to be something somewhere. I saw a while ago one made by voiglander but I might be wrong.

7. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Olympus claims June availability

While I was calling on another issue, I spoke alternatively with Olympus tech support and the Americas store. Between the two of them, the upshot is they understand internally that the VF-2 probably won't be in stock until June at the earliest. How reliable is the info? Unknown, your mileage may vary. In the meantime, I'm keeping my powder dry and avoiding looking at the "One left in stock!" messages I get since the suppliers want at least a 30-40 dollar markup from the going $249 street rate. :mad:

8. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Voightlander does make optical viewfinders in various focal lengths, but they're in 3:2 aspect ratio so framing would be slightly off if you're shooting in 4:3.

9. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    What's the difference between VF-1 and VF-2? I have an EPL1.

I thought I wouldn't need an VF until a few days ago I tried to take some outdoor photos under bright sunlight and I couldn't see a thing on the LCD screen. When I said I couldn't see a thing I mean it, literally. Maybe my polarized glasses have something to do with it, but trying to take some photos of my car, I couldn't even find my car on the screen, never mind framing it.

10. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    VF-1 is an optical VF only, specifically designed for use with the Olympus 17mm f2.8, so it won't show the correct FOV with any other lens. The VF-2 will show proper FOV since it's an electronic VF and gets feedback from the camera and lens. A bonus is that it's a much higher resolution than the rear LCD on the EPs, in addition to solving your washout problem.

11. aslondon

aslondon New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2010
    florida panhandle
    I have one for sale in classifieds I'd take $225 delivered to lower 48 (canada would have to pay shipping) and split the paypal fee.

AL

12. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    From past experience, you are going to get more info from the store or store chat with regards to any possible word on availability of an accessory. Accessories like the VF2 usually are sent probably sent out to retailers too as soon as they come in. There have been plenty of times the Olympus store was out, and Amazon and BH and Adorama had some in stock.