VF-2 and new Pens?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Starred, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    I currently have an epl1 and I would like to buy the viewfinder in order to have better vision in bright conditions.

But I will probably also buy one of the new pen models, as their specs sounds pretty good. So the question is, Will I be able to use the VF-2 on the new pens?
  2. Chuckr53

Chuckr53 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2010
    Estero, FL
    VF-2 on PENS

The VF-2 is currently functional on the E-P2, E-PL1, E-PL2, and XZ-1. I can't not see it usable on future Pen cameras...unless they incorporate this awesome viewfinder into a professional Pen camera.

My $0.02.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Since the intro is in 5 days you could just wait and see.
  4. andrewteee

andrewteee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    I just wish I could buy the VF-2. The black one is impossible to find anywhere.
  5. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    I know, but I go on a vacation in about a week...
  6. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    It may be good news: if it's discontinued, then we may hope for a better integrated one, and which holds without the rubber band I "customized" it with...
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I want a chromed metal one...

And you can be sure the VF-2 will work on the new cameras, no problem.
  8. Jimbo3rd

Jimbo3rd Photog GoGo

Mar 10, 2011
    Central Florida/Disney area
    Jim Sullivan
    Looking for a deal on a new VF-2

Not to long ago I saw where someone purchased a new VF-2 viewfinder at Staples on a special sale. Price was 199.99. Plus you could pick up (for about $3.00) a $30.00 discount coupon for any purchase over $150.00. I followed up and got that deal, cost me a total including tax of like $180.00. I see that deal is no longer available and I need to get another viewfinder for my daughter who just got a new PL-1. Anyone know of any deals around? I know they have been in short supply, but are showing up now. Thanks for any suggestions.
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol, I'm used to the rubber band customization anyways. I use a flash bracket with no lock on the shoe, and while there is a lock on the flash foot there is none on the PC Sync adapter so I have to hold it on with a rubber band. I also have to rubber band the battery doors on all my Olympus flash guns (FL-36R, FL-50, and FL-50R), as the lock on them always breaks. I used to complain about the build quality of those flashes (besides the battery doors, I'm also breaking little plastic parts on the flash foot, wide-angle diffuser, etc.) until I realized that all my Olympus flash guns long outlasted all my Canon flash guns, which didn't have piddly problems like the battery doors. I'd rather have a reliable flash with a rubber band, than one that doesn't work at all. ;)

As far as the VF-2 goes, Olympus did update their Accessory Port (the E-PL2 has the AP-2 which allows bluetooth connectivity) but it is backwards compatible with the older accessories made for the original Accessory Port. It is only the new accessories (ie, the PENPAL) which don't work on the older ports, but the old accessories always work on the new ports.
  10. Chuckr53

Chuckr53 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2010
    Estero, FL