VF-2 and glasses: is it useable?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Apr 5, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I have glasses and shoot with some legacy glass. I'm thinking of trying an EPL2 with a VF2 because I hear that MF with the VF2 is a better experience. Having said that, I have glasses, so I am wondering what people's experience is shooting with the VF2 with glasses.

Do you find you have to remove your glasses? Can you leave them on? If you leave them on, can you still see the complete image, or do you only see a smaller, center portion?
  2. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I use mine with my glasses with little problem. It is actually mush better than most of my cameras and I tend to get a little vignetting in the corners but otherwise no problems. I'm actually very pleased since if I don't wear my glasses, it is all a blur. :wink:
  3. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    I use mine with glasses and have no problems either.
  4. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Glass wearer; the evf2 is perfect, focusing with legacy lenses doesn't even require enlargement.
  5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I have progressive trifocals and have not experienced any real trouble using the viewfinder. It's actually harder with the LCD because because of the need to keep it farther away to see, so my hold on the camera is never quite as steady.
  6. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    do you guys think using the eyecup (Ep-9) would help? can't find it anywhere in stock though. been meaning to try it as i wear glasses occasionally (if i'm too lazy for contacts).
  7. JamisLaFrance

JamisLaFrance New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2010
    Mississauga, Canada
    Agree with other users. Love using the VF-2 and I to wear progressives. Much easier than using the LCD -nice and clear, particularly out in daylight, full sun conditions.
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    It works better for me. I use reading glasses only, and I need them for the LCD whereas I can use the diopter adjustment for the VF-2.
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I've been resisting, because I've been waiting for the EP3 (ha!) and in case they iterated the VF2, I didn't want to just get the viewfinder. But I'm not sure I want to wait much longer, so I'm thinking EPL2 + VF2.
  10. Otto

Otto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Texas, USA
    I wear glasses too, but returned the EP-9. I felt it was too heavy, and didn't allow the VF-2 to sit at any angle besides home, and 90 degrees. When I tried to use it in between the two, it would just drop down to the home position due to the weight of the EP-9. YMMV.

Hope this helps,
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Andrew Riddell

Andrew Riddell Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2010
    Strange. I don't have this problem. I certainly find the EP-9 is a great improvement on the original eyepiece.

12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    No issue with the VF-2 here (progressive bifocals)... now the EVF for the LX5/D-LUX 5 is a WHOLE different story... eeecchhh!
  13. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    I use with and without glasses... it works both ways ok for me...
    and I am soon need bifocals ... :biggrin:
  14. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    interesting. i would think that rubber is pretty light. i hope i don't have the same problem. just ordered one.
  15. DjordjeJ

DjordjeJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2009
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I use VF-2 with glasses with no problem at all. But, when I add eyepiece EP-9 it is better without glasses. It moves me far away from VF screen. Also, too much ambient light gets in the way. EP-9 is perfect without glasses.
  16. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    No problems at all, and I too use bifocals. Never tried the EP-9.
  17. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    i just set the diopter and use the ep-9 to push up my glasses when i'm not wearing contacts. works great for me.
  18. aerogami

aerogami New to Mu-43

May 29, 2011

For what it may be worth to you, the e-pl1 has slightly better image quality than any of the other Olympus micro 4/3 cameras, it also is the cheapest. You can see for yourself on the dpreview test pics as one example.

I have been using it for 2 months, and it is great. I don't use my 5d MarkII much anymore, because the e-pl1 is so much more enjoyable to use with the vf2. The image quality is excellent. The only weak area in any of these e-pxx series cameras is low light performance, that will be improved in the future, but if you are used to an aps-c or larger camera, you will be disappointed with high ISO noise, otherwise the image quality is incredible. I only shoot RAW, though the JPG output is incredible on the e-pl1.

I hate noise and am spoiled in that regard by my Canon, so I try to avoid shooting over 320 ISO with the Olympus. Noise starts to become noticeable to me at 400.

I only shoot with vintage manual focus lenses, and I am elated with the e-pl1. I don't mind the resolution loss vs 21mp, when I can focus so easily and get such evenly exposed and rich shots - I don't need to spend any time editing shots to make them look right, as I do with the 5D.

Can't wait to see if they have improved noise in the next rev.
  19. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    No problem here--except with polarizing glasses!