1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Very Small Insert

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dornblaser, Jun 4, 2013.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have not found what I am looking, and that is an insert to can hold an OMD with two lenses, one mounted. The lenses would be the O17 and another prime or kit lens (Come on O 12 - 40!) I have the small Crumpler Haven but it is too 50% too tall and 33% to wide. Any suggestions?

2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Thinktank Hubba Hubba Hiney

3. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks, but I want an insert.

4. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks again, but I am looking for a much smaller size. I already have the Crumpler Haven small and Timbuk2 Snoop XS insert.

5. bassman

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Really small insert

Understand. I actually use it as such - it fits easily right into the bottom of my daypack. Since it top loads and doesn't have a flap, and is wide rather than tall, it works well as an insert for me. It's in my pack right now.

Of course, it also works well as a shoulder bag or a belt bag, which is a plus for me.

6. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks, but it is too big. I own the Ona Bowery if I want a bag like that. I also own a number of small dedicated bags like the Tenba mini Messenger, XS Timbuk2, etc. I am looking for a niche insert to carry one camera and one lens when traveling or moving about.

7. bassman

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Have you thought about a holster-type bag? I can usually fit the camera (EM5) with a moderate lens mounted, plus a small lens (eg, 17/1.8) in the extended snout.

8. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No, I am looking for an insert to use in another bag, e.g. messenger bag.

9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Take a look at the Domke and Billingham inserts. If you can't find one with the dimensions you want, you may need to make it yourself. Which is what I did.

• Like Like x 1
  10. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    I would recommend Ciesta Arco Flexible Insert mini.

CIESTA

arco_flexible_mini_cobalt.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I'm using the Case Logic as a small one-camera and one-lens stackable, mainly to go inside another larger bag. It's not my regular carry, but one where I am bringing a camera along with primarily other equipment, such as tools, laptop, samples and etc. I don't even use the strap, it goes in and sits upright nicely; held in place by the other paraphernalia.

Amazon.com: Case Logic DSLR Camera Holster TBC-406: CASE LOGIC: Camera & Photo

• Like Like x 1
  12. bassman

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I'm using a Thinktank Holster 10 the same way.

13. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Handy with a sewing machine? Make one to suit!

14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thank you for the replies. I was not sure if what I was looking for existed, now I am pretty sure that it does not.

15. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Did you ever find what you were looking for? Your use case seems to be exactly the same as mine. I'm considering trying a Domke modular insert.

16. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    • Like Like x 1
  17. albert_ang

albert_ang Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I travel with a laptop backpack + Olympus wrap-cloth (for the camera body) + 2x lens pouch/case. It's the lightest way to carry my gears.

18. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    You might be better off making your own. Buy a block of foam. Cut it to the shape of your bag so it doesn't move around and doesn't need Velcro. Then cut holes in it to the exact fit of you camera and lenses.

I'm still not satisfied with the various bags. They are all too bulky for my small camera. So I have to adapt one as well, in order to keep it small.

19. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Hrm, I must admit I had not considered making my own. I don't think I want a piece of foam the size of my bag since the idea is to fit a camera + 2 lenses in a bag that has to hold other stuff as well, but maybe I can figure something out with a block of foam and an x-acto.

Another thing that might work for me is a large lens pouch.