Very quick sensor comparison - GH2 to G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gcogger, Aug 27, 2012.

1. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    There has been some discussion as to whether the new G5 has the same sensor as the GH2, with Panasonic contradicting themselves on the issue. As I temporarily have both cameras, I thought I'd do a quick test to see how they compare. I'll show 2 comparisons. Both are 100% crops of images processed from RAW in Silkypix, with noise reduction and sharpening set to 0. (Lightroom gives slightly better results for the GH2 in both tests, but it can't handle G5 images as yet). In all cases exposures were set manually, to the same for both camera, to avoid any metering or ISO sensitivity differences.

Sorry about the image sizes, but I hope it's helpful to make them this size.

Test 1: ISO 3200, to see how the noise levels compare. The GH2 is first, then the G5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To my eye they're identical.

Test 2: This is to check highlight headroom (dynamic range). ISO 160, overexposed 2 stops, then pulled down 2 stops when processed in Silkypix. The GH2 is first, then the G5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're very close in terms of pulling back the blown highlights, but I think the G5 has a slight edge here. There's very little in it, though.

I'd say they use the same sensor...

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I have it on good authority that they're using the same sensor. Thanks for the test! Could you do a pushed shadow comparison as well?

3. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Thanks for the test! I think all the evidence pointed towards the same sensor, or the G5 simply having some slight tweaks(such as to enable 1080p60). The first image is particularly telling; I thought you had accidentally duplicated the photo. Any difference you can spot is negligible and superfluos pixel-peeping, imo.

4. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I was seeing conflicting information. The Panasonic UK website originally said the G5 had a "newly developed sensor" (I think they've changed it now) and, when I sent them an email asking if it was the same as the GH2 or a new sensor, they told me it was a new one! It seemed worth doing the test.

As to pushing the shadows, I'm afraid the GH2 is all packed up for shipping tomorrow, but there may be some regions of the 'overexposed' ISO 160 shots that are underexposed, so I'll have a look tomorrow. I'm happy to upload the RAW files if anyone wants to play with them.

Yes, I think that pretty much proves it's the same sensor - it's uncanny how similar they are!

5. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Much more chroma noise on the gh2 if you look at the blue squares. Overall g5 file is better on my retina iPad.