1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Very Poor Packaging ... Again!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by twokatmew, Dec 19, 2012.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    It seems there are two packers at B&H, one who packs orders so they could be run over by a truck and survive unscathed and another who seems to think my order will be hand-carried to my home and thus needs no protection at all.

I decided to order an Oly 15mm body cap lens, and this is how it arrived. Part of the packaging was never sealed and thus wide open. This is the second lens I've received shipped like this over the years.

I'm extremely disappointed, thinking of returning this for credit and ordering from somewhere else. I keep my equipment in pristine condition and save all boxes. This one's ready for the trash. I haven't even opened it to look at the lens ... yet. :mad:

Here's the packaging after I opened it. The red box shows the part of the package that was never sealed:

[​IMG]

And here's the lens box just after I removed it from the package:

[​IMG]

B&H is a very reliable company with great customer service, but sometimes the shipping department really falls down on the job. :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    That is unacceptable. I'd ask B&H to ship you a new one, properly packaged, and provide you a prepaid shipping label to return this one.

• Like Like x 2
  3. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I had ordered the 45mm/1.8 from them from their used department last summer, and was disappointed in the packaging as well. It was simply the lens by itself in a thin,simple ,little, flimsy bubble mailer with no added protection or wrapping! And the lens cap had been popped off and loose inside the package. Thankfully there was no other damage to the front element...but very disappointed considering the good reputation B&H has.

4. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Have you called them or filed a complaint via email? I have no doubt that they will make this right.

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    No, I haven't yet. I wanted to get over being steamed before calling. I know they'll make it right. But I'm awfully tired of having to go through this time and time again.

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    In general, items I buy privately seem to always be packed better than what I buy from retailers. It seems the standard from most places is box in a box with a few air packs on one or two sides. Everything is seldom snug, and there is almost never a layer of protective material around the entire box.

Of course that's a lot better than this example. I agree with meyerweb. And thanks for posting it twokat. B&H has a great and well-deserved rep for customer service, but this should not be tolerated.

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Well, mine looked similar to that (a little less compacted anyway), I guess I'm not that picky? If it were a lens with any electronic parts I'd be upset, but I think anything short of stomping on it or driving over it isn't going to do much of anything to the 15mm lens - it is essentially just a little puck. With that said I take very good care of my stuff - if the lens came out of the box with any damage I would be singing a different tune...so, how did the lens look out of the box?

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    You're definitely right about that - we all take good care of our own stuff, and want to see that it arrives in the same condition. Retailers take an approach that the manufacturer has provided adequate packaging for the item, and any additional boxing/packing is just extra padding but not actually necessary - drives me nuts when an expensive new item arrives in a box 3x too big with a token air bubble pack!

9. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    How many times has this happened to you? I know anecdotal evidence is all but useless but I've been buying from B&H for over 10 years and I've never had any problem with packaging at all.

10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    It seems like a recent trend. I had a good run with B&H for years, but twice in the last year I've received packages much like the one pictured in this thread. The contents survived in both cases, but only because the items themselves were pretty rugged.

Certainly the antithesis of amazon.com packaging, which is often laughably excessive: a huge box housing a very small item, crammed full of packing peanuts, or, more recently, inflated plastic balloons.

Is there a middle ground??

11. henryp

henryp Sponsor

Jan 18, 2010
    New York, NY
    Henry Posner
    No need to call. I've emailed return authorization and a pre-paid UPS return label. I coded the return for an even exchange so a new one will head out to you as soon as we get this one back.

I also sent a copy of this to the manager of our shipping department, his boss (our fulfillment director) and another customer-satisfaction manager here.

Finally, and I know of least effect, I apologize.

• Like Like x 19
  12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thank you, Henry! I don't really want to send the lens back if it tests OK, as I'd planned to go out and play with it this weekend. I just get tired having to return purchases because of careless packaging. A couple weeks ago I ordered a Magnus TAJ-200 tripod from you, and it came packaged very securely in a sturdy box. It was way overkill, and most of the time, this is how I receive my B&H orders. But several times over the last few years I've received poorly packed items like this. It's very disappointing, especially on the occasions my orders were gifts.

Anyway, thank you for your speedy response and for passing this along to the shipping manager et al. :smile:

13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I think so! I remember seeing that commercial on TV. Maybe that's why I pack so securely when I ship packages. :wink:

14. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I know what you mean. I bought the tokina 90mm from heliomech, which shipped from Canada. I received it today @ 4 p.m.. 3 hrs. later I'm still unpacking it!

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Wow, flimsy.

Ironically (nothing to do with B&H) I bought the Sigma 30mm off Amazon (UK) and the box holding the lens was in the CENTRE of those squiggly S foam bits inside a one-foot square cardboard box. Careful stuff!

16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, my Sigma 30/2.8 was packed similarly by Amazon (US). At least the Sigma lens has that thick case and heavy cardboard box to protect it. But still.... Those air pillows only work to fill a bit of extra space in a box providing said box is only slightly bigger than the item. Using a big box for a small item and filling it with air pillows allows the object to bounce around the box. Shoddy packing IMNSHO. :smile:

17. henryp

henryp Sponsor

Jan 18, 2010
    New York, NY
    Henry Posner
    I'm confident it will be fine. If not, use the return authorization; if it is you can simply discard the authorization.

Any time this happens, and hopefully it is extremely infrequent, contact me and include snapshots.

18. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have no affiliation at all with B&H, but...

Please contact the shipper prior to posting on the internet!! You have no idea how much even a little bad publicity affects retailers with all of the data mining. People will just look at the front page, never see where Henry tried to make it right, and then jump to a conclusion from that. I am not saying don't post about things like this, but give the retailer a chance to make it better first. Sometimes we need to remember that this isn't a clubhouse, and that the stuff on here never leaves, and is seen by tons of people we don't intend to see.

Sorry about the rant, but having worked in customer service for a while, these things can take on a life of their own, without any direct experience beyond the initial customer. I would suggest that the OP put something in the first post, mentioning that B&H have contacted him to make it right (so people who simply scan the first post will know).

• Like Like x 1
  19. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Doesn't sound like a rant to me, everything on the internet should be read with a huge grain of salt (like an entire salt lick, haha).

20. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I bought a VF2 refurb from Cameta and wasn't happy with that packaging either it had, no box and was just thrown in a bubble pack with maybe 1/4" of protection. The VF2 worked OK but I agree the packaging should be better.