1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Very Large Array

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Tecpatl4, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    • Like Like x 8
  2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I would have tried to include a little foreground detail, even a fence would have
    pepped it up a little. Or your triumph perhaps.
    That if it was possible !
    I'd love to see this place in the flesh one day.

I was once told about one of my pictures. "you should have moved to the right more"
    If i had, i would have fallen to my death !

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Seems a bit underexposed for some reason. I would have framed it a bit differently to have a lot less dirt and more array in the photo (getting closer to one of the telescopes to have it fill your vertical more), but that's a personal choice. I would have also not cut off the far right telescope.

4. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    The lengths people go just to get HBO

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    i LOVE the subject matter. I just feel like the composition is a little off. The horizon line is too centered. And I understand you probably wanted to keep that puffy little cloud on the left, but cutting the dish on the right doesn't help. I just did a simple crop using the rule of thirds. I hated to lose the cool foreground, but felt that the dishes were reaching to the sky. If you prefer, you can crop putting the horizon on the top third line instead of the bottom.

large array by Lukinosity, on Flickr

I would also up the contrast a touch or at least bring up the black levels, but I'm less certain about that. There are plenty of crops that will be more effective than what you have chosen. I think a panoramic would be really cool, too. Understand that these are just the opinions of a VERY amateur photographer, but when people ask for suggestions, I'll offer them (if I think I can improve the shot). Take what you will and discard the rest.