1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Very fishy ... New Body Cap Fisheye Lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by matt_pro, Mar 3, 2014.

1. matt_pro

matt_pro Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2014
    My new body cap fisheye lens just showed up from B&H, thanks B&H! Slapped it on my EPL3, went outside and this is pic one straight from the camera. This lens is going to be a blast. :smile:

12914212725_fdf5ccd31e_b.
    Fishy BMW by Matt Profitt, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Funny title!:laugh1:

Looks pretty good - image wise. I agree the BC lenses are a great idea. I hope to get the fisheye soon. I hope Olympus makes more - perhaps a standard{24 or 25mm}.

• Like Like x 2
  3. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    A 25mm BCL would be sweet..

• Like Like x 1
  4. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    I'm loving my BCL-15. Such fun images with the art filters. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I say a 65mm bcl!

6. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Totally agree! There is some serious creative power behind those art filters + BCL... Why did I cancel my 9mm order!! Why Lord!!!

As i am typing this, Web-Betty you are favoriting some of my pics on flickr.. :D thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  7. speedandstyle

That would be the one after the 25mm. Of coarse I am not sure you can do that long a focal length and it still be a "body cap". But even if it were a bit bigger it would be nice to have a short tele in the theme of the BCL{same simple design with focus lever and low price}.

8. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I bought the Samyang 7.5 two years ago, expecting it to be just a fun lens with little serious use. If this one had been around back then, I surely would have bought this one. As it turned out, I get a lot more use from a fish eye then I expected (great for close up objects like mushrooms or leaves too). A fish eye is great fun!

9. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Pentax has the 40mm pancake it is probably the same size as the BCL15.. so it is very doable to go a little longer... not sure if they would a 25 since that is already covered.. but maybe some other number that doesnt make sense...like 21 or 22mm

10. speedandstyle

22.5mm - that would make it a perfect normal for m4/3 at 4:3 aspect. I would be very happy with that.

11. dane714

dane714 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    jZIK6Z8.

Enjoying the hell out of this lens.

• Like Like x 2
  12. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    its possible to do a 40mm pancake lenses for DSLR cameras because that focal length is close to flange distance of the mount. On M43rds, the flange distance is 19.25mm, and as such, every lens past 20mm for the system gets longer and longer. A 40mm or 65mm pancake/body cap lens is almost certain impossible due to physics.

13. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike

I'm no lens designer but I can get close with a simple 2 lens telephoto design. A 35mm (convex) lens followed by a -90mm (concave) lens spaced 22mm apart should give a combined focal length of 40.1mm and a back focal length of 15.2mm. Thats a total of 37.2 mm from sensor to front lens, or ~18mm projection from the flange. Perhaps not a body cap but within the limits I've seen 'pancake' lenses sold as.

NB. Telephoto is being used here in it's proper definition of a lens that is shorter than it's focal length, rather than the more modern incorrect usage of just a long focal length lens.

With modern lens design software & exotic glasses I'm sure professionals can squeeze that somewhat & reduce the aberations the simple lens would have.

Then again less than 100 years ago supersonic flight was 'impossible due to physics' in the minds of many aircraft designers, and even more recently Bumble bee flight was still thought to be 'impossible due to physics'. I guess the phrase has a meaning other than the apparent one. :biggrin:

Creating a 9mm lens thats not deeply recessed in the body involves much the same sort of problem in reverse. (It needs the concave lens first - a retrofocus design)

• Like Like x 2