Very first impressions of Yongnuo 560 III with Rf-603 II and Panasonic GX7

tlovegrove

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tim
This is my very first foray into off-camera lighting - just spent my first 30 minutes with my new Yongnuo 560 III (two of them) and RF 603 II trigger set. Couple initial observations:

The manuals are really miserable to try to understand - and I'm a flash newbie - but the flashes worked great with almost zero setup. I only had to push one button on the flashes to switch them to the wireless mode. Then they worked. So that's pretty remarkable.

Super easy to change power settings on the flashes.

Transceiver fit on the GX7 shoe mount with no problem. It does block the viewfinder from being raised.

Simply turned on the GX7, made sure flash was "on" in the menus, and I don't think I had to change anything else on the camera.

It seemed to work fine up to 1/320, and even sometimes at 1/400. I was very glad to see that it goes well beyond 1/160.

So far, so good!!

Tim

Qiou87

Mu-43 Regular
Which external flash you are using that with may I ask

He said it: Yongnuo 560 III (the version with internal receiver built in).

Thanks for your feedback tlovegrove. I have a similar experience with the same setup, although on E-M5: easy to set up, reliable, cheap, and manual flash is actually not that hard once you understand how flash photography works (strobist helped me a lot here).

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've got the same set up too, very happy with it. I do need to learn more about flash photography though.

tlovegrove

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tim
I wanted to follow up on my initial post. This may not be of much interest to many of you, but might be helpful for someone (like me) who is searching around for answer about off camera flash for micro four thirds.

Here are a few things I've learned:

Off-camera flash is definitely possible with micro four thirds, even without paying the big bucks for Olympus or Panasonic flashes.

Manual flash is easy. Now admittedly, this would not be the case if I was trying to shoot on the move at a wedding, etc. But in a studio or otherwise fairly static setting, manual flash is EASY. I now completely understand what David Hobby means when he talks about how you don't pay too much attention to shutter speed, ISO, aperture, etc. It's just not that hard to get the right exposure - you spend more time thinking about how to get a cool shot, not how to finally get the exposure right.

You don't have to understand any of the complicated Canon/Nikon TTL flash stuff to do manual flash with Micro Four Thirds.

Manual flash is not expensive. When I first started looking into this a few years ago, it seemed so expensive. Even the Strobist 101 course that everyone on the planet has read recommends flashes that cost close to $200 each. Pop over to those recommended kits at Midwest Photo Exchange, and you're looking at $1000 easily. Ditto (even more) with Alien Bees, etc. But as the technology has improved and the Chinese QC has gotten much better, the costs have plummeted. My Yongnuos are awesome and cheap.

You don't have to use PC cables, hot shoe adapters, etc. Wireless is now cheap and easy. Once again, when I first looked into this a few years ago, Pocket Wizards seemed like the only game in town (other than the super expensive proprietary stuff from Canon etc.). Today, I'm using a $34 Yongnuo wireless trigger set that is working perfectly with no set up.

That's how they got that look. I've been doing portrait photography for years working with natural light, ambient indoors lighting, and CFLs. I've had fun and learned a ton, but almost never been able to get that tack-sharp perfectly-lit multi-dimensional look (except maybe when working in a hotel room with huge windows and very thin curtains). Suddenly, with off-camera flash, it's right there and it's so easy it doesn't seem fair.

It just works. At least so far. Last night I fired off 345 images in a studio shoot with both strobes and the GX7. The only problem I had was when I fired off about a dozen shots in about ten seconds total, and then one of the flash guns needed about 5 seconds to recycle afterwards. Batteries on the camera, transceiver, and flash guns seemed to be clipping along just fine after 345 shots.

So, FWIW, I'm thrilled:
Panasonic GX7
Panasonic/Leica 25mm
Olympus 45mm
Yongnuo RF603C II
2 x Yongnuo 560 III
+ cheap light stands, umbrellas, grid spot, etc.

Tim

LowTEC

Mu-43 Regular
thanks tlovegrove. I bought the same setupfor my E-M5 the day I read your original post and I agree all your points. I never had problem with my 600Rs before because i was using TTL for run-and-gun and adjusted the EV via on camera screen, but for off camera setup, I much prefer the precise and surefoot buttons of the YN560iii than the indecisive and unpredictable turning wheel of my 2 600Rs, which drives me insane. In fact, I will be getting 2 more YN560's tomorrow to complete my 3-4 lights setup and leave the 600Rs for run and gun TTL.

TEAM KEN

Mu-43 Rookie
Newb question about YN flashes.
Do I need a specific one for my GH3?
I understand that I would get TTL..but manual is fine.
Thanks for any model recommendations.
Ken

Lodos

Mu-43 Regular
I wanted to follow up on my initial post. This may not be of much interest to many of you, but might be helpful for someone (like me) who is searching around for answer about off camera flash for micro four thirds.

So, FWIW, I'm thrilled:
Panasonic GX7
Panasonic/Leica 25mm
Olympus 45mm
Yongnuo RF603C II
2 x Yongnuo 560 III
+ cheap light stands, umbrellas, grid spot, etc.

Tim

Tim, thanks for sharing your experience, that is really valuable.
one question, do you know if Yongnuo RF603C II work right away with m4/3 cameras in general in contrary to previous version? I remember there was a surgery need for the previous version as mentioned here an here
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3076574
https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=53241

also did you get the canon or nikon version or does it matter? (in amazon canon and nikon versions still sold separately)

btw just saw that this site claims that these units are safe upto 300v trigger voltages.. maybe time to dust off old flashes..
http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-rf-603-ii-released/
this website also says that nikon canon versions are same hereafter..? confusing with the amazon listings.

thanks

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
I purchased 4 of the YN 560III flashes as I liked the built in trigger. I use them with RF602 triggers as I already had them along with some RF602 receivers as I was using them with Nikon SB26 flashes.

* They are quick and easy to set up.
* Easy to change the output as you can do it up on a light stand as the buttons are directly related to adjusting light (up down left right)
* There is supposed to be a remote that allows you to control the power of the flashes from the camera. This is the main reason I wanted them and am looking forward to the new transmitter (hopefully this year some time)
* In a studio environment m43 has the same light reading as FF but more DOF … therefore the flashes have two more stops of light compared to using them with FF which is a huge bonus as you don't have to use them at their fullest powers so they recycle quicker and and you have extra power when needed

I also have 2 nikon sb26's which I still won't part with at this time as I need to be sure of YN 560III flashes long term reliability and with all the new cheap manual flashes they would not be worth much if I sold them. They have an auto mode that allows me to set an iso and f-stop and the flash reads the light being emitted and shuts off when say f5.6 has been reached. This is similar to the way TTL works. They can also be used directly on the camera in this mode or in full manual.

Have way too many flashes as I also have 2 fl600 and 1 fl50r but sometimes I need to set up two studio stations. One for a group shot and then one for single portraits so all these flashes come in very handy at those times. Will prune them down in the future just not sure when.

tlovegrove

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tim
one question, do you know if Yongnuo RF603C II work right away with m4/3 cameras in general in contrary to previous version? I remember there was a surgery need for the previous version as mentioned here an here

Yes, they work, no surgery needed. Canon / Nikon version doesn't matter.

Lodos

Mu-43 Regular
Yes, they work, no surgery needed. Canon / Nikon version doesn't matter.

another question popped up,
can the transmitter unit attached to the camera hotshoe trigger a flash attached to its hot shoe directly? (ie the unit is sandwiched between camera and flash ), it would be helpful triggering two flashes with both the receiver/transmitter unit? (I am interested in non- Yongnuo brand flashes). I know it can do that in nikon/canon bodies..
thanks

tlovegrove

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tim
another question popped up,
can the transmitter unit attached to the camera hotshoe trigger a flash attached to its hot shoe directly? (ie the unit is sandwiched between camera and flash ), it would be helpful triggering two flashes with both the receiver/transmitter unit? (I am interested in non- Yongnuo brand flashes). I know it can do that in nikon/canon bodies..
thanks

I don't know for sure - I don't have a non-Yongnuo flash to test it with.

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Not sure if what you want to do is possible but I think you can set the YN 560III to trigger when it sees another flash go off
This would mean the flash on the camera would automatically trigger the off-camera flash.

homerusan

Mu-43 Regular
can you fire both yn560 III flashes at the same time with only one rf-603 attached on cam?
and do you know how many can rf-603 fire yn-560 III flashes?
can i fire 4 flashes with only one rf603?
thanks

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro
can you fire both yn560 III flashes at the same time with only one rf-603 attached on cam?
and do you know how many can rf-603 fire yn-560 III flashes?
can i fire 4 flashes with only one rf603?
thanks

Yes you can fire both, I have fired both of mine, plus the Nissin flash that was on the other trigger. I see no reason why you cannot fire as many as you like as long they are in range, unless someone more experienced than me knows for definite.

Latest threads

Top Bottom