1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Very excited--my new 45/1.8 gets delivered today!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Kpp80202, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Kpp80202

Kpp80202 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2013
    Colorado
    Kevin
    After dipping my toe back in the mu4/3 water last month (after a year long hiatus) with a new-to-me, used E-M5 and my "old" Panny 20/1.7, I have since picked up the 40-150 kit zoom and an OM 50/1.8+Fotodiox adapter. While the MF lens is really fun to play with--I love the quality/smooth feel--and the zoom lens covers a good range, what I really wanted was the fast focusing, low light, relatively thin DOF capability of the 45/1.8 (the OM lens at 1.8 is too soft for enlargements, though wonderful at 2.8+). I can't wait to try out the new lens tonight! When my pennies are saved, I hope to get the 12-40 and the new pro tele zoom. Dang, this E-M5 is going to cost me a fortune.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If you like the focal length, the 45 is a superb lens. Until I got the 25, I would often use the 45 and back up.

3. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I recently got the 45 and I struggle a little with it. I have to keep reminding myself that I bought it for the f/1.8. What it does well, it does very well. I also got some extension tubes, and the 45 has worked well on the few shots that I've taken.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Is it the rendering or the FL that is a problem?

5. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    The rendering is great, no complaints. I usually take lots of close-ups, near macros. I usually have my 12-40 or my 60mm macro on my camera and both of these focus so much closer than the 45.

I did spend the weekend out of town with family and took dozens of indoor photos without using my flash and the 45 earned some respect for that quality. I went back and forth between getting a 25 or 45. The 25 focuses much, much closer, but I'm much happier with a little more distance between me and my subject when photographing people, so the 45 won.

6. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    have a good time and pics with your new 45mm, I got it not so time ago, in concerts and sport, I love it. and didn't think FL was so fun to use. got a +2d close-up (maybe I'll take a +4d) and have an other fun :p I take very good pics with it, beautiful and sharp :)

ENR05354_ORF.

7. Kpp80202

Kpp80202 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2013
    Colorado
    Kevin
    I need the FL for indoor kids' plays, etc. From the seats in our gym, 20mm is too short, the kit 40-150mm can't keep a fast enough shutter speed and a low enough ISO with the lighting situation, and the 75mm would be too long. I thought the OM 50/1.8 could work, since focal distance stays pretty constant, but the "bloom" at f/1.8 (and the need to use f/2.8) makes it less than ideal. So, this seems like the right tool for the job. The OM 50/1.8 will make a good portrait lens, and like I said before, is very fun to use in a way that the auto-everything lenses aren't.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    The Oly 25 focuses closer than the Oly 45, but due to the focal length, the magnification is barely improved... from .11 to .12. Other than the dedicated macro lenses, none of the native u4/3 lenses is worthwhile for closeups of tiny things.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Now I feel a lot better. Thanks.

Actually, I just looked at a bunch of indoor candid shots that I took over the weekend with the 45, and I have zero regrets.

10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Congrats! It's an excellent lens! It's been my travel low light prime for quite a few trips and I love it! It's small, light, and produces beautiful images!

11. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    Congrats on your purchase. I enjoy using the 45mm as a portrait lens.

The O12-50, which has a macro mode, is 0.36x which isnt too bad...

I dont mind using the O12-40 for (not-very-close) closeups. Magnification factor is 0.3x and you can focus on objects about 2in away from the front element.

12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You are going to have a lot of pleasure reviewing the photos you take with this lens.

Be sure to try lots of portraits with it!

13. Kpp80202

Kpp80202 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2013
    Colorado
    Kevin
    Thanks, can't wait!

14. Kpp80202

Kpp80202 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2013
    Colorado
    Kevin
    Ok, so the refurb lens came in. It is indistinguishable from new, other than the packaging. I'm very happy with it. One question, though, regards the focusing. Maybe it's the super fast focusing system (and it is fast), but there is a weird split second blur right before the crystal clear focus is reached. Is that normal? I'm not sure I'm describing it right because it happens so quickly. But, for example, my D300 with the G lenses or older D lenses just goes straight to clear focus. I think that happens with my slower focusing Panny 20/1.7. Anyone?

15. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It is the nature of CF focusing to overshoot the focus point before 'zeroing in' on it. You may not have noticed it with your other lenses because they don't have such shallow DOF, so they look like they went 'straight to sharp' when in fact they are still zeroing in.

Only the new DFD technology in the GH4 avoids this in a CF camera.

• Like Like x 4