Very early Coated carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 Sonnar, on the EP2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brian S, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I picked up a pair of 5cm F1.5 Sonnars last week, to convert to Leica mount. Both advertised as oil on blades, haze and dust, "some work required".

This one is a SN 190xxxx block- 1936. Looking at the lens, paint intact on the threads of the name ring, no spanner marks, no tell-tale signs of being opened, oil on the blades- it had never been opened up in the past 75 years. "Big Bertha" super-spanner required, something made in the 1950s. Name ring came off with a lot of care, many times they get destroyed in the process- I was lucky. All of the optics of this lens are coated. I knew that Zeiss had coated some lenses without marking them with the Red "T"- but this one's serial number is 600K less than my early "T" marked Sonnar, SN255xxxx block. That one only goes to F11.

This is the earliest coated lens that I have seen. Popped all the glass, surfaces cleaned up nicely, got the oil off the blades.

In its Contax mount, on the EP2 using a Contax to M adapter, and an M to u43 adapter.

At F1.5:

[​IMG]

At F4:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Wide-Open at F1.5:

[​IMG]

100% crop,

[​IMG]

Not bad for a 75 year old lens at F1.5

3. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    F1.5 again,

[​IMG]

Local 19th century graveyard as you drive into the neighborhood.

and at F4:

[​IMG]

The front element of this one has the same type coating as an even older lens that i have, SN175xxxx. On that one, only the front element is coated. At this point, I believe Zeiss was quietly experimenting with the process with these unmarked lenses.

I'll be converting this lens to Leica mount soon, for use with the M9. This will serve as a "missing link" in the evolution of coated Zeiss lenses in the collection.

4. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Amazing the quality of those classic lenses!