1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Very early Coated carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 Sonnar, on the EP2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brian S, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I picked up a pair of 5cm F1.5 Sonnars last week, to convert to Leica mount. Both advertised as oil on blades, haze and dust, "some work required".

This one is a SN 190xxxx block- 1936. Looking at the lens, paint intact on the threads of the name ring, no spanner marks, no tell-tale signs of being opened, oil on the blades- it had never been opened up in the past 75 years. "Big Bertha" super-spanner required, something made in the 1950s. Name ring came off with a lot of care, many times they get destroyed in the process- I was lucky. All of the optics of this lens are coated. I knew that Zeiss had coated some lenses without marking them with the Red "T"- but this one's serial number is 600K less than my early "T" marked Sonnar, SN255xxxx block. That one only goes to F11.

This is the earliest coated lens that I have seen. Popped all the glass, surfaces cleaned up nicely, got the oil off the blades.

In its Contax mount, on the EP2 using a Contax to M adapter, and an M to u43 adapter.

At F1.5:

[​IMG]

At F4:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Wide-Open at F1.5:

[​IMG]

100% crop,

[​IMG]

Not bad for a 75 year old lens at F1.5

3. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    F1.5 again,

[​IMG]

Local 19th century graveyard as you drive into the neighborhood.

and at F4:

[​IMG]

The front element of this one has the same type coating as an even older lens that i have, SN175xxxx. On that one, only the front element is coated. At this point, I believe Zeiss was quietly experimenting with the process with these unmarked lenses.

I'll be converting this lens to Leica mount soon, for use with the M9. This will serve as a "missing link" in the evolution of coated Zeiss lenses in the collection.

4. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Amazing the quality of those classic lenses!