Very Disappointed

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fredlong, Feb 8, 2012.

1. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Yes! I’m talking about the OM-D E-M5! What a mouthful that is. So that’s the first thing, it needs a better name.

Then there’s that gigantic hump. Right in the middle of the camera! Get rid of the hump, a little negative space would be nice so I would have a clear view looking over the screen on the back. Put that viewfinder in the corner. Sony and Fuji can do it. Why can’t Olympus! And put it on the right side so that those of us who are left eyed can finally have a little nose relief.

Then there’s the 5 axis stabilization. Mathematicians are working in 9 or 11 dimensions! Why can’t Olympus. I think I’m right in expecting real stability. Is that too much to ask.

Weathersealed? Dustproof? Splashproof? These are all just ways of saying “Not waterproof”. Well, why not! Sometimes my kayak turns over. Thats more than a splash. Olympus just wants to rip me off for an overpriced waterproof housing! If they can make a waterproof housing why can’t they just make it waterproof to begin with!

Only 16 megapixels. Puhlese. Why do they keep buying Panasonic’s left overs. Olympus, how about building your own fab and making your own sensors. Or talk to Sigma about that Foveon thing. I’m not sure what it is, but the consensus on the web is it’s the best kind of sensor there is.

Don’t even get me started on the whole flippy screen thing. A twisty screen is so much more versatile. I’m sure it couldn’t be that hard to design one that does both. Could it?

Other than that I like it just fine.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Then it wouldn't be OM-D? It would be a PEN style body.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Supergravity models generically result in an unrealistically large cosmological constant in four dimensions, and that constant is difficult to remove, and so require fine-tuning. This is still a problem today.

Do you really expect Olympus to resolve this issue?

4. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I can't believe it doesn't have an OVF or even PDAF.

Wake up Olympus!
  5. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    I can't believe it doesn't come with a built-in toaster oven.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    And where is the coffee maker?? What is Olympus thinking!!!
  7. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

And what the heck? Why no voice recognition. I want to talk to my camera dammit! :mad:
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada

But on a serious note... there is actually a reason for the "prism hump" in the middle of the camera. Toshi himself (as most of you know, the Product and Planning Manager at Olympus Imaging) explained it in one of the video interviews on the interwebs. The main reason they wanted to include a built-in EVF was for stability in holding the camera against your head, in particular with long-telephotos. This works best when the viewfinder is in direct line with the lens itself, not off to the side or something.

It wasn't just because they wanted to look identical to an old OM. ;) Olympus follows traditional camera designs, but there is usually a reason for these traditions.

• Like Like x 3
  9. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Plus the hump includes the accessory port :biggrin:
  10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wish It had inbuilt washing machine ...weathersealed dust and shock proof washing machine ...
    OOps forgot to mention .. My wife complained they took the mirror out and how will she put lipstick on ??
    So sad .. My friend has a small baby and she is wondering if Olympus could have added some space for a milk bottle and nappy holder .. :biggrin::biggrin:
    We human beings.... are never happy ...
    • Like Like x 2
  11. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Guys, you are forgetting the space and time continuum. Surely olympus should already have an answer to that, no?
  12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I'm also very torqued !!!
    No built in mp3 player, no gps, no Dolby pro in the movie mode, and what's with the grip being for right-handed people only. Why do I have to pay extra for weather sealing, my camera rarely leave the house. And that "hump", p-l-e-a-s-e don't get me started on that hump and that "retro' look, I would much prefer it to look like a futuristic avocado so people won't look at me as if I were a PRO photographer. Another thing that really eerks me, what's with silver and black bodies? Why not that futuristic avocado in some cool colors, like lime green / zesty orange, or goofy grape / hot pink.
    I'm really disappointed, I think Olympus REALLY missed the boat on this one.
  13. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    The well established answer to the question of life the universe and everything is 42, so we're fine in that area.

14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I wasn't too crazy about the hump either, but given that this is an "OM", it was a logical thing to include a hump. It works for the overall "look" of the camera.

I prefer rangefinder looking cameras more, but unfortunately, we don't have a m4/3 that looks like a RF with built in EVF. IMO, adding a clip-on EVF on a Pen or the GF/GX camera is uglier than the hump on the OMD.

On a not so serious note, I wish Oly would have given us a yellow colored body like the Pentax K01!
  15. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    I think its a case of the emporers new clothes, just damn ugly. I quess it will gradually evolve into a more rounded camera on future models....ohh a G3
  16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's the answer! M42 screw mount! I knew it was something we already had but overlooked... :cool:
  17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I'm not at all complaining about the battery. You must not buy Panasonic! A new battery with every new camera (and chipped to boot!). I'm still using the same battery type in my EPM1 that was used in my EP1, over 2 1/2 years ago. You can buy them for like $5.

On the flip side, it's about time they came up with a new battery! Maybe this one will last a bit longer??
  18. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Speaking of batteries, I wonder if their battery grip will also take AA batteries? Anyone seen any info on that?
  19. I don't like the look either and that is why Fuji now has my full attention. Looks like I'm selling a bunch of lenses, again.

20. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Is this a joke? We live in three dimensions with six degrees of freedom and Oly is correcting five out of those six. The last one is in-out aka focus, and you probably don't want IS trying to compenate focus.