1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Very Disappointed In Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by C6REW, Oct 5, 2013.

1. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    Feeling very disappointed with Olympus.

When the E-M1 was launched and as soon as it was available on the web shop I bought it. This was without seeing or handling it. I totally trusted Olympus that this would be a good improvement over the E-M5. Those of us who pre ordered via the Olympus web site where told we would be the first to get them and within the first week of October.

So why have the dealers received their shipments and people who have only just ordered them already got their cameras and those of us who 'trusted' Olympus don't have ours?

The additional insult of not even receiving an email of when it will arrive, nor via which courier or having a tracking number seems very poor service in my book. I go onto 'my account' on the Olympus site and all it says is I have ordered the camera. No update or additional information.

As to the customer service this seems incredibly poorly run. I received an email with my code to get the free battery grip after I placed my order. So I sent an email on the 11th Sept using the Olympus web site asking what I should do. To date no one has bothered to contact me! A telephone call a couple of days ago confirmed that they have no record of that email. So why have a web based emailing system if it doesn't work?

The final insult! I have just heard that LCE in Southampton have them in stock and someone has just walked off the street and bought one. No pre-ordering, just picked it up there and then!

So where does loyalty get you with Olympus? I'm afraid absolutely nowhere.

With such a great range of cameras all you need do now is treat your customers like you really do care for them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Man in Southampton buys Olympus shock......

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I have had pain dealing direct with Panasonic and Canon, but I've had good luck so far with Olympus. Not a good excuse, but I chalk it up to them being better at building cameras than selling them. I don't think it is necessarily a trust or loyalty issue.

Can you cancel your order and buy somewhere else?

4. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    Hi demiro,

Already paid for it and it will turn up.

The problem is their lack of customer service that annoys me. I can live without the camera, of course I don't want to, but that is not an issue.

They really need to get their act together in the way they deal with people. When folks like me - and a know a few others - have faith in the company, enough to pre order before even seeing the camera, they need to take notice and make sure we are looked after. The fact that they cannot even get the basics right is a problem.

A few months ago one of dials fell off my E-M5 - a common problem - so I sent repeated emails to customer service. All of them where ignored, until I got a bit angry and the response eventually came. It was a poor reply as well.

Best regards

Chris

• Like Like x 1
  5. Xenon

Xenon New to Mu-43

May 7, 2013
    Same here

:confused:
    I'm in the same position, Chris!

I have spent the past 3-4 days chasing, as my card was debited and I, naturally, assumed that as an early orderer from Olympus shop I would be one of the first to enjoy the E-M1.

Many mixed messages from Olympus support UK, but I am now told I am being "prioritised" for the next shipment in 2 weeks time.

It is poor policy to take money without sending the goods, particularly if the delay is going to be weeks rather than days!

It is the lack of communication that hurts, and I have been offered 2 from 2 UK suppliers, but Olympus have my money, so I'm stuck.

Still, at least it gives us time to see how others are getting on.

Little consolation though for being a loyal, early adopter :rolleyes:

6. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Seriously, have you forgotten how to use a phone. Sending emails into to the internet void and expecting important communication is silly. Person to person contact. If you sent it to a "person"s email" that's one thing but sending via a webform or some generic info@ customerservice@ .. Yadda yadda and expecting top service is just an realistic expectation in todays world. Speak with someone, be proactive. Stop depending on chance ...

7. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    As far as I know, E-M1 release here in Japan has been moved to October 11,2013 as well. So I guess there is a bit of shortage and a bit of lousy prioritizing by Olympus going on.

I do find it a bit odd for them to not prioritize pre-orders.

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    This happens ALL THE TIME, with EVERY CAMERA ever released by anyone, NOT just Olympus. Rolling out a big product release has got to be a hell of a complicated endeavor and random stuff always happens. Big retailers who you'd expect to get the biggest shipments get tons of pre-orders, get one of the first shipments, but it's tiny, and many people are then sitting on the wait list while their local camera store may have 2-3 in stock because nobody bothered to form a line there.

My strategy is not to pre-order but to wait until they start hitting the ground and then start calling a bunch of small shops I've gotten familiar with over time. Usually one of them will have it in stock and I'm good to go. AND, the big retailers always seems to hold a few back for floor customers.

A year and a half ago when the EM5 first hit the ground, you couldn't find one ANYWHERE on line. I happened to be staying in New York that month and none of the big NYC retailers had any available online and it took people on their waiting lists MONTHS to get their cameras. I walked into one of them the second day the camera started shipping and I already knew from some acquaintances that their (small) first shipment had all gone out already and it was gonna take a while before any more came in. I just wanted to see if they had a flood model I could look at. They did. I was admiring it and said, 'too bad you don't have any around, I'd buy one right now'. The guy asked me if I wanted silver or black, I said silver, and walked out of the store with one about 10 minutes later. People who'd placed pre-orders were pissed, but what was I supposed to do, NOT buy it?

Sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time. And the more places you check out at the right time, the more likely one of them will be the right place...

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  9. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I agree with Ray. Example: In April 2012 when the E-M5 first hit the market the big retailers were backordered for weeks and weeks. So then I went to Olympus's website to find a list of Olympus dealers and starting calling camera shops in my State that carried Olympus cameras. Sure enough, two of them had some E-M5's in stock. And the store that had two in stock was a relatively small volume store that I had never heard of before!

• Like Like x 2
  10. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    Sorry my friend I did that bit and as to a problem with emails I am surprised at your response. Emails sent via 'web sites' don't suffer with the same problem as normal emails as you are already on the web site when you send them. They are in fact not emails but direct contact.

Best regards

Chris

11. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    Hi Ray,

I guess you are right and I have learnt my lesson not to trust Olympus in the future when they say they will look after the people who pre order.

Pity really, as mentioned, I think they have produced an awesome range of cameras, but obviously cannot back that up with customer support.

As someone who spent a lot of money on Nikon kit they have won me over with the gear, I just hope their support improves in the near future. As someone who used to be a business consultant, I may even offer to look into their operation and see what I can do for them.

Best regards

Chris

12. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
  13. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I rarely get a response from website "contact" messages, at least from photography related companies. Amazon is one of the few exceptions. I figure they laid off the worker tasked with reading/answering them a few years back...

14. Peter_Hartland

Peter_Hartland New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2013
    Andover Hampsshire UK
    Peter Hartland
    I was dat man

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Olympus charges sales tax anyway, so why buy direct? Same thing happend when the EM5 and every other model camera came out. I shopped/called around til I found one. There must have been 100 threads on DPR about who had them in stock. There's no point in pre-ordering anything outside of maybe a CD you desperately want.

16. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Hi Chris, what did you order ?

The only reason i ordered the E-M1/12-40 from the Olympus Online Store was to get the free grip added to the order, knowing that there would be delays caused by the lens and didn't want to miss the free grip deadline date. Does seem a bit odd that almost every store other than Olympus have received some E-M1's, although none have received the 12-40mm.....yet.

John.

17. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I bought the 17mm F1.8 for $375 directly from Olympus (getolympus.com) during their Black Friday sale. I've not seen it drop below $449 in the last year. So once in a while a deal does pop up at getolympus.com. However, like the OP, I didn't receive the preorder until a couple weeks after they started appearing in stores. But then they were selling for $499.

If I were Olympus, I would try to deliver all my large orders to retailers first, and then fill individual orders as stock comes in. Ultimately you need to support your dealer network first.

18. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    So remove the form. I pisses me off to no end when companies have contact forms and then ignore CUSTOMERS.

19. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    That's because the release date for the 12-40mm is still end of November AFAIK.

20. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Dec 7th

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mu-43 mobile app