Very contented with my current gear, no GAS!!

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Kiwi Paul, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I'm very happy with my current setup, I want for nothing, not another system, not another camera and no more lenses, for the first time in maybe forever I'm GAS free.

I have a GH3, EM5, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300, 25 and 60mm macro.

The EM1 doesn't tempt me at all nor the 12-40.

My recent trip to Iceland and more recently Tatra mountains in Slovakia proved to me my gear isn't just capable but excels.
    The GH3 has become my workhorse camera for trips away and the 12-35 is the most used lens, the ease of use of the GH3 makes it so nice to use, reconfigurations are quick and easy and the GH3's ergonomics are lovely, when you are carrying all your kit the larger size of the GH3 becomes irrelevant. The lenses all have there own use depending on what focal length needed and all have excellent IQ and performance, the 100-300 is the weakest lens with ok IQ but it's not a focal range I use that much so the lens is fine for my purpose.

The EM5 lacks the ease of configurability of the GH3 but I do like its compact size and find it a lovely camera to use handheld. The GH3 and EM5 are quite a contrast it a lot of ways but I like what each offers depending what I'm shooting or my mood. They both have the same level of performance and IQ so that is never a point for which camera to use. I always use the GH3 for any tripod work, it's far more suited for that than the EM5.

So I'm a happy camper, I've recently added some more ND filters and ND graduated filters to my kit but can't see me wanting anything else soon.

Paul

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Maybe it's because you already have everything :smile:
    The only things I could think of to induce some gas for you would be:
    The Voigtlander 17.5 f/0.95 if you are into low light or video,
    and some lighting equipment, flash and/or bouncers and diffusers for macro.
    Rudy

3. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    What is wrong with you? It doesn't matter that you don't need anything...we hardly ever do. We just convince ourselves we do. I absolutely must have about five more lenses and a couple new cameras.

But then, you do have a pretty impressive kit. Maybe if I had that kit I wouldn't feel the need for anything either. Tell you what, just to find out, why don't you send me your kit for a month or so and I'll see if I want anything else. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I think the same thing, from time to time, with all the gear I have. Then things like the Ricoh GR, the GM1 with 12-32, the RX-1, and such pop up. None of this is "necessary" of course. Just a lot of fun.

Oh well... its a constantly changing landscape and lots of fun! One can choose to be content at any point... and also have a change of mind at any time as well. The important thing is to enjoy the ride at whatever level you happen to be at.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Don't panic.. We will be able to cure you.

Someone hand this man a 75mm!!!!!!!

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    No GAS? It won't last. Not if he hangs around here.

7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    that's a nice kit that has you pretty well covered for a lot of situations. Personally I'd add either the rx100 or the newly announced GM1, so to have something smaller in size. 75mm might be nice for some shallow DOF portraits

8. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I have the RX100, don't do portraits so no need for 75mm.

Paul

9. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I also am very happy with all my current gear. However I would like the iso 100, 1/8000 and more that the EM1 offers. I am going along to a presentation of that camera tonight so interested to see how it performs. I have a girlfriend that will purchase one of my EM5's so that makes the move easier for me but I do like have two cameras the same so it's easy to swap between them so will have to assess this also.

I have a great lens line up and not wanting in any area however the 12-40 looks nice. Hopefully they have that there tonight to view also.
    I don't know that I will swap up as the 12-35 and 35-100 both turn the same direction and I don't know that I would swap the 35-100 up to the 40-150 as that lens is much bigger and I moved to m43 for the size factor.

10. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I've rarely desired anything lower than the ISO125 of the GH3 and never needed 1/8000. If it's that important to use a wide aperture in really bright light I'd just put a 1 stop ND filter on, no more image deterioration than adding a protective filter, a much cheaper alternative than buying a new camera.
    The 12-35 is fine, the 12-40 doesn't tempt me at all.

Paul

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg: