Very Capable - Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ChuckA, Apr 14, 2017.

1. ChuckA

ChuckA New to Mu-43

Apr 9, 2017
    New to the forum, Olympus & M4/3. I have to say I'm quite amazed at the image quality and capabilities of the E-M1 Mk II. I've only taken a few first shots. These are from my local home downtown last night while walking the streets. The reports about perhaps not needing a tripod for the E-M1 Mk II are dead on. I'd struggle to get any better result with any other camera body/lens I've ever had. And I've had a lot - most of Nikon, some Sony, Almost all Fuji X, a Ricoh II, a Leica Q (which I do love). All shots handheld, raw, at most 2-3 minutes processing in LR/PS CC each.

sm_20170413_OlyEM1MkII_00000703-Edit.
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II w/12-40 F2.8 Pro @ 19mm, f2.8, 1/5th, ISO250, Handheld

sm_20170413_OlyEM1MkII_00000599-Edit.
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II w/12-40 F2.8 Pro @ 20mm, f2.8, 1/10th, iso800, Handheld

sm_20170413_OlyEM1MkII_00000612-Edit.
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II w/12-40 F2.8 Pro @ 29mm, f2.8, 1/10th, ISO640, Handheld

I'm an old school guy. And an old guy. I have to say the E-M1 Mk II is more than very capable. Add a lens or two and my current bag may be done.

Thanks for looking.

Chuck

• Like Like x 27
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Chuck, welcome to the forums. Great first set of images.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome and a very good first post.

4. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    What's the place in the third pic? Anywhere with a Hammond and Leslie in it scores highly in my book! :)

5. ChuckA

ChuckA New to Mu-43

Apr 9, 2017
    All pics are within about a block from each other in the Old Town area of Temecula, California, USA. For the unfamiliar, about 40 miles north of San Diego. 3rd pic was through the window of a wine & cheese store. Not sure why the organ. I just sold a classic Hammond & Leslie for my mother-in-law. It's what got my attention walking by the store window. The lighting just happened to be right.

6. alex g

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Aha! I hope you got a good price for it — was it a B3?

7. ChuckA

ChuckA New to Mu-43

Apr 9, 2017
    Can't recall - an 'H' something I think. I'm a bit of a piano guy, not much of an organ guy though.

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Very nice shots :) - and a big welcome from across the pond! The E-M1ii is a cracking camera for sure. With the 12-100 it's really a fantastic image making machine.

9. alex g

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    I don't know about you, but I find being used to the size of pianos and organs something of a handicap when it comes to following discussions about the relative sizes of different brands of camera gear. :D

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Top Veteran

Is that your Hammond B3 with the Leslie speaker cabinet? Or were you just snooping through some stranger's window? :)

Never mind. I posted before reading others' comments...

As a teenager playing keys in garage bands, I had a powerful lust for that organ! Hauling it to gigs required Keith Emerson's roadie crew, though...

11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Nice shots Chuck! Not sure where you got your gear - Nelsons Photo in San Diego carries a good stock of Olympus and Panasonic gear. And the local Olympus rep stops in quite often.

12. slsman

slsman New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2017
    Toronto
    Lovey feel to these images!

13. ChuckA

ChuckA New to Mu-43

Apr 9, 2017
    To Clint - thanks! I'll check out Nelsons. I do still prefer local camera stores whenever possible and always try to support them. I'd hate to see them all go away.