Very Capable - Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ChuckA, Apr 14, 2017.

1. ChuckA

ChuckA New to Mu-43

Apr 9, 2017
    New to the forum, Olympus & M4/3. I have to say I'm quite amazed at the image quality and capabilities of the E-M1 Mk II. I've only taken a few first shots. These are from my local home downtown last night while walking the streets. The reports about perhaps not needing a tripod for the E-M1 Mk II are dead on. I'd struggle to get any better result with any other camera body/lens I've ever had. And I've had a lot - most of Nikon, some Sony, Almost all Fuji X, a Ricoh II, a Leica Q (which I do love). All shots handheld, raw, at most 2-3 minutes processing in LR/PS CC each.

sm_20170413_OlyEM1MkII_00000703-Edit.
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II w/12-40 F2.8 Pro @ 19mm, f2.8, 1/5th, ISO250, Handheld

sm_20170413_OlyEM1MkII_00000599-Edit.
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II w/12-40 F2.8 Pro @ 20mm, f2.8, 1/10th, iso800, Handheld

sm_20170413_OlyEM1MkII_00000612-Edit.
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II w/12-40 F2.8 Pro @ 29mm, f2.8, 1/10th, ISO640, Handheld

I'm an old school guy. And an old guy. I have to say the E-M1 Mk II is more than very capable. Add a lens or two and my current bag may be done.

Thanks for looking.

Chuck

• Like Like x 27
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Chuck, welcome to the forums. Great first set of images.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome and a very good first post.

4. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    What's the place in the third pic? Anywhere with a Hammond and Leslie in it scores highly in my book! :) 

5. ChuckA

ChuckA New to Mu-43

Apr 9, 2017
    All pics are within about a block from each other in the Old Town area of Temecula, California, USA. For the unfamiliar, about 40 miles north of San Diego. 3rd pic was through the window of a wine & cheese store. Not sure why the organ. I just sold a classic Hammond & Leslie for my mother-in-law. It's what got my attention walking by the store window. The lighting just happened to be right.

6. alex g

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Aha! I hope you got a good price for it — was it a B3?

7. ChuckA

ChuckA New to Mu-43

Apr 9, 2017
    Can't recall - an 'H' something I think. I'm a bit of a piano guy, not much of an organ guy though.

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Very nice shots :)  - and a big welcome from across the pond! The E-M1ii is a cracking camera for sure. With the 12-100 it's really a fantastic image making machine.

9. alex g

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    I don't know about you, but I find being used to the size of pianos and organs something of a handicap when it comes to following discussions about the relative sizes of different brands of camera gear. :D 

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Top Veteran

Is that your Hammond B3 with the Leslie speaker cabinet? Or were you just snooping through some stranger's window? :) 

Never mind. I posted before reading others' comments...

As a teenager playing keys in garage bands, I had a powerful lust for that organ! Hauling it to gigs required Keith Emerson's roadie crew, though...

11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Nice shots Chuck! Not sure where you got your gear - Nelsons Photo in San Diego carries a good stock of Olympus and Panasonic gear. And the local Olympus rep stops in quite often.

12. slsman

slsman New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2017
    Toronto
    Lovey feel to these images!

13. ChuckA

ChuckA New to Mu-43

Apr 9, 2017
    To Clint - thanks! I'll check out Nelsons. I do still prefer local camera stores whenever possible and always try to support them. I'd hate to see them all go away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.