1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Very bad purple fringing/halo with G3/14-45

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by grohde, Mar 1, 2012.

1. grohde

grohde Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011
    I am relatively new to m43, having moved up from point and shoot last year. I have the G3 with the 14-45 lens I picked up used. The lens seems to be in perfect condition.

When I take pictures of bright white or shiny objects against a dark background I get a strong purple fringe or halo around them. It's usually in low light conditions. I am aware of chromatic aberration, but that is usually at the edges of the photo and a very slight fringing. This is a thick halo around the objects and in the center of the frame. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Is this a common problem or is there something wrong with my camera or lens?

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Post an example?

Are you shooting raw of jpeg? If raw, what raw processor are you using?

3. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    Is there some setting for CA correction that might be turned off?

If not then I would determine whether there is a firmware upgrade for the camera and/or the lens that is newer than your installed firmware. If so follow the upgrade instructions and reshoot.

If that does not work then go to a camera store and see if you can test one of their m43 lenses or use one of their m43 bodies with your lens. This will narrow it down to one or the other.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Purple fringing is a pain in the but, but easily fixed in photoshop in 90% of cases. Do a google search for how to fix it. A firmware update in the body may help, if it's available. Filters make it worse. Stopping the lens down will reduce/eliminate it.

Gordon

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'd like to see some samples too. I never had problems with purple fringing using that lens on any Panasonic body.

6. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I agree - I love the G3 14-45 combination, and have never seen purple fringing. That would freak me out also. Hope you find an answer soon, as I feel your pain.

7. bryan

bryan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2012
    OP, do you have any filters attached to the lens? Have you tried cleaning the glass?

8. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    The 14-45mm has an excellent reputation that is in part due to a near-complete lack of purple fringing.

It sounds to me as though the lens has been dropped, presumably before you bought it. It would be a good reason for someone to sell it.