1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Versions I and II of the Oly kit zoom

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drd1135, Sep 26, 2011.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    My friend and I looked at her Scotland shots over the weekend. She had borrowed the E-PL1 with the the 14-42 kit lens (version 1). The Jpegs had lovely color and exposure BUT the shots were definitely lacking in sharpness. Nothing extreme but the shots lacked "pop". I just purchased version II of the 14-42 and we are going to give that a bit of a try since this is the lens that would come with the E-PM1. The reviews say the new one is sharper but does anyone have direct experience with both versions? To be honest I never liked the original version and if I hadn't used the four-thirds 50 macro 2.0 with an adaptor I might have dumped :43:. I actually sold the original kit and got another when it came with the refurbished E-PL1.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Probably didn't wait long enough for it to focus :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Have you upgraded the firmware in the E-pl1 to the latest version? They improved the IS to make pictures come out sharper.

The front of the Mk.I wobbles, which can result in soft pictures, for obvious reasons. It helps to use anti-shock shooting modes to reduce the effect of the shutter opening and closing on wobbling the front of the lens.

It helps even more to just go out and get a 20mm or 45mm prime. I only very rarely use mine anymore since buying the 20mm.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    :rofl: She is coming from a Nikon compact and a Pentax K10D so she thinks it's really fast and good in low light.

5. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    I can't tell the difference IQ wise between Mk1 and Mk2 R, though I haven't done extensive pixel peeping. I did stumble on an ephotozone review few weeks ago where the conclusion was that the Mk1 was slightly sharper than the Mk2 wide open. So.. regardless, when the Mk1 can get it right, they're pretty close. Where there is a big difference is in the speed of focus. The Mk2 is faster than a Mk1 on an E-PL1. And it's faster still on a E-PL3.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    For us on the forum, no question. For many other consumers, that's not happening. They want a zoom. I did laugh a bit at the reaction to the new Panny "pancake zoom". We may want faster lenses, but that's the beast that will bring in the customers.

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I think the new kit is a tad bit sharper on the wide end. I think the long end is a wash. I think the AF and internal silent focus is the biggest improvement.