1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Versatility of the Panasonic GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by brnmatsumoto, Aug 13, 2011.

1. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I worked with the GH2 for about a year and have been amazed at its versatility. It can be used with virtually any lens and any piece of optical hardware. These are some shots taken with the camera mounted on a microscope, revealing the structure of stems. The images with the extreme black background are taken with polarizing filters and they provide a different view of the same subject.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's pretty cool! Have you tried video as well?

3. brnmatsumoto

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Jonathan. Yes, indeed I've tried video. The neat thing about the GH2 is it allows some time lapse capability. You can "speed up" up events up to 3X which can be handy with the microscope or some nature shots.

Brian Matsumoto

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    These photos go beyond macro photography! It's nice to know the possibilities!

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Lol I opened this thinking someone would be posting a bunch of shots of the footy and saying "Look! The GH2 can do sports!"

Very cool :smile:

6. brnmatsumoto

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am happy I managed not to disappoint. My Panasonic cameras have been used with legacy lenses (microscopes that are 60 years old) and with focal lengths from 1.6 mm to 1700 mm (telescopes). That is a pretty broad range of lenses.

7. dfroelich

dfroelich Mu-43 Regular

Nov 15, 2010
    Awesome images. Are those phloroglucinol stained?

8. brnmatsumoto

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm afraid I do not know the stain. They were slides bought from Carolina Biological and they tend to stain their plant material, I believe, with safranin and fast green.

9. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    Even the lowly G1 can be made to work with microscopes. Here's one from a 50 year old preparation on a 40 year old microscope using a 1950s Leitz LTM microscope adapter connected to the G1 with a LTM adapter. The result is not as good as the OP but not bad either.

volvox.

10. brnmatsumoto

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would never describe the G1 as lowly. It was the first Panasonic camera I had used on a microscope and I gifted it to my stepdaughter who is doing excellent work with it. The GH2, GH1, G2, and G1 are all excellent cameras. I did not mention the G10 or G3 as I have not had personal experience with them, but I presume they would give equally good results.

A very nice preparation of Volvox. In fact, it is the best I ever saw. I thought they were living samples. Where did you get the slide? It is exquisite. Also, the abbreviation of OP. I am unfamiliar with it. Please tell me what it stands for.

Thank you,

One question, you used the term OP

11. parkgt

parkgt New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2011
    OP=

OP = Original Poster, in other words the person that started the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  12. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    The volvox preparation was in a small collection of slides that my parents bought me along with a 'toy' microscope in 1958 (I was eleven) and over the years has dried out some. I have recently retired after 44 years as a medical microbiologist and the microscope was one that i used in the late 1960s and it was replaced by Leicas in the 80s as the optics by then were below par, it remained in a cupboard at home for many years until I tried it with the G1. It is interesting that just a few years before I retired I got a purpose built digital photography unit that cost £4000 for a Nikon microscope we used and it only had a 1 Mp sensor, I wonder what images I could have got with the G1 on the Nikon.

OP by the way stands for Original Post / Original Poster.

• Like Like x 1
  13. brnmatsumoto

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    We share common interests. I too am retired, having worked at the University of California in Santa Barbara for 26 years. We had a microscopy, imaging facility that I directed and during my tenure images were recorded with film. We abandoned chemical photography because of the expense of disposing fix and developer. We adopted digital cameras and like you, we started with a 1 megapixel cameras. Working with 12 megapixels is a bit more of a challenge in that we had to use unusually low power eyepieces to take advantage of the sensor's resolution. In my posting, I had used a 1X eyepiece.

One nice thing about the Panasonic cameras is the zoom feature when manually focusing a lens. It simplifies obtaining precise focus. Although microscope optics have improved, my feeling is that there is a decline in the mechanical quality of the newer microscopes. I still work with a 40 year old Zeiss and Leitz stand.

14. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    OP = Original Poster (the person who originated the message thread)

I'm late to the party. Sorry about the redundancy! :redface: