Venice Italy gear. What to buy / bring.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Sniksekk, Feb 10, 2016.

GAS

1. 75mm 1.8

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. 8mm 1.8

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  3. None of the above

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 42. Hitchikers guide to the galaxy.

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  1. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I'm going on a short vacation to Venice later this year. I've never been there before.
    Traveling light, 2 houses and some lenses.

What (if any) should I buy.

8mm 1.8 for the alleys, or 75mm 1.8 to take pictures of people?

12-40 is going with me, with 17 1.8 /45 1.8.
    Any suggestions?

2. MassimoFoti

MassimoFoti Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    Lugano (Switzerland)
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    FWIW, I have never been, but my daughter did get to go a couple of years ago. From her images it was easy to see that Venice is very narrow. So wide angle lenses may be a necessity. Whether you want the fisheye or not is up to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    It`s not unrelated (in my eyes).

I love it!
    It reminds me a little of curaƧao and I really love pictures from that place.

5. biz91

biz91 New to Mu-43

Nov 12, 2015
    Italy
    In my humble opinion the 12-40mm and 75mm are the best choices. A wide angle lens is helpful for the narrow streets and the 75mm is useful for portraits and for the gondoliers in the canals. Weather sealing is
    recommended because it often rains here and Venice is located in the marshy Venetian Lagoon

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. mossie

mossie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    Maybe include 17/1.8 for interior shots as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    8mm/1.8 for interiors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    You might find the 9-18 useful, albeit mainly outdoors. You have the 17 for dim interiors or street at night. The 12-40 is good at 12, so if anything, you should go wider. Unless you're looking for the fisheye look, the rectilinear 9-18 or 7-14 Pro would be more useful, although the latter is a bit pricey.

Note: I have the first three, but not the 7-14 Pro.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    Depends on what you want to capture. I went there last year with a 7-14mm and a 14-140mm and ended up using the wider lens almost exclusively since I mainly shot outdoors and wanted to capture as much as possible in the tight spaces.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    When trying to see things from your perspective, the lens I'd consider buying is the Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8 - it's sufficiently bright, optically very good and goes super-wide. But the 75mm f/1.8 is a fantastic lens and always worth considering. And a bit of additional reach may come in handy.

I don't have anything against fish-eye lenses, but while I own and actually like the Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5, I'll still state that its usefulness is limited. I'd hesitate to spend a lot more on what remains a speciality lens when all's said and done ... Of course, the 8mm f/1.8 is top notch - but how often are you actually going to use it? I'll stick with my recommendation to look into the 7-14mm f/2.8 ...

Finally, a lens I really find increasingly useful on the road is the 14-150mm II - not a PRO lens by any standards, but immensly usable, and it delivers solid results.

And what I'd definitely take to Venice is a tripod to be able to take some long exposure night shots - but that's just me ...

M.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    This! When I went to Istanbul, I used my 9mm Oly Bodycap for so many indoor shots. It was obviously too dark, but in churches and palaces, which is what venice is all about fisheyes can be absolutely stellar. It also gives you a distinctly different perspective which allows some creative shots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    9-18 with a lightweight 5- or 6-section monopod and a small ball head with quick release clamp. This is the recipe for shots inside buildings. 17mm is nowhere near wide enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Zoom and the 17, won't need anything longer. keep the money for Venice, you'll need it!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I think you'd be fine with the 12-40 and 17/1.8. While the canals are narrow, you're usually shooting the long way down them from a footbridge. And for me, 12mm is plenty wide. I've been to Venice a couple of times and we spent relatively little time indoors, so (again for me) the wide 12 and the bright 17 would be enough. If I were adding it would be something longer; the 40-150 variable lenses are very inexpensive.

A tripod will also be helpful, but only if you're willing to take the time to setup for the cityscapes. If you don't like doing that, don't waste your time or money.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    If you are looking for an excuse to buy a lens then I would get the 75... to me the best and most versatile lens for the platform.

My basic travel kit is the 17, the 25/1.4 and the 75 and one body

Tokyo
    Tokyo

Florence
    florence 2014

Found in Florence

LA
    Hollywood Street Life

LA February

but at the end of the day get the lens that takes the photos you want to take... we all work differently, and all have different objectives.

I concur with laser8... the zoom and the 17 should have you covered. You are on a vacation...so enjoy the time and record the experience... forget tripods, monopods and trying to get picture postcard shots

just my way of thinking

K

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'd be pretty happy with the 12-40 and 75/1.8. The zoom pretty much covers the 45. I wouldn't buy a fish-eye just for a trip and if I did get one it would probably be the Samyang.

If you can remember "Mostly harmless," you won't need the extra weight of the Hitchhikers Guide.

Fred

17. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    One could pack a pocket tripod if necessary, hoping to find a convenient surface to rest it on, or to shoot a selfie or two. Caveat, stay close to your camera, or make sure no one's around when you leave it sitting out alone. :)

18. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Venice?

I'm really tempted to say that you'll need a fisheye lens for the canals :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Based on what my wife took, and what she used, stick with wide-angle lenses. I don't know why you'd want to photograph locals grimacing at tourists, anyway (and in Venice, locals who don't run shops do have disdain and it's palpable.) :doh: :Welcome:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    You guys are the best!
    Sorry for not answering everyone in person but this thread has a lot of replies that I appreciate.

I never thought of Samyang 7,5mm. No idea why. I'm gonna try that one out asap (when they get it back in stock where I live).

At least one mentioned that the locals might be tired of tourists. Yeah, that's reasonable, and that's a very good point. I'll take that with me and probably scratch 75 on this trip.

The price on O 7-14 is rough here. 1400 $. That's why I originally thought of the 8mm pro. Until you guys stepped out directing me in another direction.

:)

Cheers.

And yeah. Travel light at day, travel with tripod at dusk/night. ;)

I need to try take great pictures with tripod. Got a benro travel angel II Carbon.

• Like Like x 5