1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Venice Alley

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Brian G, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    My wife and I were on a visit to Europe late in 2010. One of the absolute highlights for me was Venice. We spent a few pleasant hours wandering the are of St. Mark's Square (Piazza San Marco), where I came across this charming back alley, which led to a small restaurant.

Originally, I'd only done a simple level of processing on the OOC camera Jpeg, which wasn't even at the full possible file size. Having gotten around now to returning to it, I quite like the current result.

I don't profess to be all that good at this, so please feel free to comment!

Brian
    Venice-Alley-web.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Brian, it's nice like that.
    Post some more...we are all excited to see your images.
    Don

3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I like the warmth in that image. I would love to see more of your Venice Photos. I am heading there towards the end of next month.

4. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Wow, you guys are quick! Thanks for the kind remarks, by the way.

I'll add some more Venice shots to this thread, just have to go look to see what state of "development" they're in first!

Brian

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The color balance seems off judging by the color of the leaves and plants ... if this is your intent then okay ... if not then I'd like to see some "true" whites and blacks ... I don't think you'll lose all that much "warmth" by color balancing.

Other than that, I like the image, I wish it was horizontal because I'd like to see more ... what is beyond the less-than-secure display case... (in this case wanting to see more is a good thing).

Gary

6. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Color temperature of a scene varies by time of day. I assume this is a late afternoon scene with some warm magic hour light. It also seems as though it is either HDR or tone mapped single image. This is how I imagine the back alley of Venice.

7. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    When processing the RAW files, I did look fairly carefully at color balance. To be candid, the final result is just my preference for the image; when I color balanced it more accurately, it lost some of that warmth that for me, that enhances the "romanticism" of the image. It was the way I felt about the scene when I saw it in life (time was mid-afternoon, but not a lot of direct sunlight in this alley. Ultimately, you may be right, and I may have left it a bit warm for some people's tastes. Caveat emptor - thanks for the observation, genuinely appreciated.

It might be better for more neutral color - I'll have a look at it again . . .

I recall that the light was low enough that I had to stabilize the camera against the corner of the opposite building.

If'n I recall (and this may be fuzzy), what lay beyond and to the left got less attractive, hence the choice of vertical, etc. The only cropping I did to this image was to "proportion" it the same as for an 8x10 print, so slight crop off top and bottom.

Brian

8. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Mmmm, Venice. My favorite city in the whole world, partly because it looks so lovingly well-used.

9. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Some more

Lisa & Streetshooter, here are a couple more, as requested (no guarantees they're what you'd like to see, but, you know . . .!). All 3 images have been subjected to some HDR process via Photomatix. How heavy-handed is usually a question of what I feel best suits the individual image. Often I prefer to pull back from the "full meal deal" when what I really want is only to make the print eye-catching, but not melodramatic for it's own sake. Opinions on what's best vary dramatically, of course. And I may change my mind tomorrow, after a sober second thought.

Venice-Shop-1-web.

Tourist photographer notices the waders that the waiters are wearing :rofl: This was a quick grab shot, I have no illusions about the quality.

Tourist-Notices-Waders-web.

• Like Like x 8
  10. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    OMG that wader shot is hilarious!

11. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Brian,
    Just do it! Don't question....just do it....
    don

12. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I'm enjoying this thread!

I love number 2 in the last post...!

13. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
  14. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    The HDR's I've posted in this thread were all processed from single RAW files. My wife is very patient, but stopping every 10 minutes in a place such as Venice while I monkey with a tripod . . . . yeah, right . . .

Also, there were too many people about for that, particularly in the afternoon.

Nice photos you linked, Lisa.

15. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    I enjoyed the whole Venice set. :thumbup: Venice almost looks comical during aqua alta!

I really am looking forward to going to Milan and Venice in June, despite being high tourist season (my wife and I are normally fall travelers, when everywhere is usually off-peak... not sure how we slipped into high season this trip...). Thanks for psyching me up! :biggrin:

16. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Happy to stimulate cravings! :rofl:

Hey, by the way, I spent much of my adult life in and around Toronto, only left there a little over a year ago . . . sure do miss the Chinese food . . .

Brian

17. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Even though Vancouver has the third largest Chinatown in the world??? :eek: I live just a couple of blocks away from Chinatown here in Toronto, but I do get pretty regular cravings for dim sum and ho fun noodles that make it hard to picture living somewhere that I couldn't easily find that! Just thinking about it is making me hungry... :tongue:

Back to Venice for a second... Were these all shot with the kit 14-45, or did you have other lenses you used?

18. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    My wife and I spent the last several years in Markham, which is predominantly Chinese population, with what seems like thousands of Chinese & asian restaurants. Many are just average, but there are a few world-class dim sum places.

Vancouver yes for variety, however we live in Victoria, on the island, which has much less in the way of choices. But still a great place to live, and much less rain!

Lenses - most images taken with the kit 14-45 zoom, some indoor images taken with the 20mm f1.7. Everything from Venice was with the kit zoom, though. We were only there for part of a day.

Hope you enjoy your trip, Venice was the highlight for us.

Cheers
    Brian