Review Vello Adapter, Canon EF/M43 wit Canon 100 f2.8 Macro

jbruce

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
John
I recently purchased from B+H, a Vello “Canon EF to M43 adapter” that has no lenses inside, so it is a 1:1. But AF, lens stabilizing, and the EXIF data all work and display properly. The first one sent worked at first, but then failed; checking on the EF side revealed one of the floating contact pins had stuck part way in so was failing to make proper electrical contact. The mounts on both sides of the adapter fit properly to the camera and lenses, with no excess slack or stiffness. The few images that I made before failure showed that the Vello was working properly. I called B+H and they were very courteous about the matter and sent a second adapter by second day air that I received yesterday, the 24th. So far I have tested a Canon EF 100 f2.8L Macro, an EFS 10-18 UWA, and an EF 70-200 f4 L with and without a Canon 1.4 tele-extender. Test results: The 10-18 works well but not quite as good IQ in the corners as my Oly 9-18; the 70-200 works very well, probably as well as on my Canon 5dmk3, with and without the extender, but the combo is heavy; the 100 macro performs excellently in every aspect of use. Overall I’m impressed with the Vello adapter at just $149.00 USD (I paid $129.00 on sale). Most importantly, I will now use my existing 100 macro instead of purchasing an Oly 60. It’s a bit heavier but is well balanced on the M1-mk3 and even works well on the gripped M5 mk2. And the bokeh is phenomenal.

The Vello is a keeper, and I’d recommend it for folks who own and want to use their existing Canon EF gear. The recommendations on the Vello site suggest a list of recommended Canon lenses. EFS lenses are not on the list, but examination of the mounts and electrical contact points are identical and the EFS rubber ring does not make contact as it can in a full frame camera, so I see no operational problems in using an EFS lens, YMMV.

P1010034.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1010037.JPG
P1010039.JPG
P1010043.JPG

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom