1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Varying "Hue" Between Images - E-M5 MKii

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by stetr24, Jul 25, 2016.

1. stetr24

stetr24 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Trevor Stevens
    Hi all,

This past weekend, I attempted my first time lapse using an E-M5 MKii. When reviewing the files shot, I noticed that one in every 8-10 had a green or purple hue, compared to the original. My settings were, manual mode, 1/25th, f10, ISO200, manual focus, center-weighted, white balance set to 7200k.

I've attached two files from the set below. You can see that the first one looks to have a more purple hue and the second one seems to be more green (more noticeable in the grass at the bottom-left). Normally this wouldn't bother me because 1)I don't normally shoot time lapse and 2)my "keeper" images, when using continuous shooting, I would just adjust the hue in Lightroom manually.

Is there a setting in camera that might be causing this? I don't want to have to go through 700-1000 images for a time lapse and have to adjust each file that I come across with the wrong hue. Thank you for any insight :)

51230020. 51230021.

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I can see the difference. Could be just flare? You are shooting straight into the sun, the clouds are moving and this may explain the difference. The fact that it affects only part of the image, bottom left, also point in this direction.

Does it happens in other situation too?

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Did you use electronic shutter? That can cause slight weirdness in my experience. Is the full EXIF available?

Doubt it's flare related, you can actually see the internal reflections in the shot and it's identical between the two frames.

4. stetr24

stetr24 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Trevor Stevens
    I'm sure there was some various in light, causing color differences, but it happens almost every time I shoot continuous frames.

Not sure what you mean by electronic shutter? And what should I be looking for in the EXIF? I can view it, but cannot upload it here.

Thank you both for the response.

5. stetr24

stetr24 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Trevor Stevens
    And here is the timelapse in its entirety. You can see the frames that are more green and more magenta as the file plays.

6. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm red/green weak, but in the video I just see the light changing as the clouds pass in front of the sun.

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's called silent shutter on the UI actually, with a little heart symbol. As far as EXIF, you could use ExifTool to dump the output as text I guess?