1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Various Paths to Macro

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by zucchiniboy, Mar 23, 2012.

1. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Hi all,

I could use your collective help here. I want to get a little bit more into macro photography, specifically for some gardening that I'm doing, and wanted your opinions. My lens list is below - right now my lenses range from 0.11x to 0.24x in magnification, and I'm usually using my 45mm 1.8 (0.11x) to take these shots, like this one:

P3171749_web.

I want to have some more options for macro without shelling out big bucks, so here's what I've come up with so far:

1. Get a 37mm close up filter for 10 bucks and stick it on my 45mm f/1.8.
    2. Get a 58mm close up filter set for 10 bucks and stick it on my 40-150mm
    3. Get a Nikon 55mm f/2.8 or f/3.5 AIS for around $75-$125 bucks and use it with my Nikon - m43 adapter.
    4. Get a Nikon 60mm f/2.8D for around $200 and use it with my Nikon adapter. Added bonus would be autofocus with my Nikon D200.
    5. Keep using my current lenses and crop.

Any thoughts, additions, edits, or other comments? I appreciate the help of this great site!

Thanks,
    Jason

2. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I have the Nikkor 55. 3.5. Because you aren't using a OVF, no need to spend extra for the 2.8.

3. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Thanks for your input. How have your experiences been with the Nikkor?

4. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    Would be nice if it did 1:1, I think the 60 2.8 does that, but that's fixed with an extension tube. Would prefer a bit longer focal length, so I might get the 90 2.8 Tamron or Nikkor 85 3.5.

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Don't know about songs2001's experience, but IMHO this is a truly great lens. It's freakishly sharp across the frame for close-ups and macro and contrasty too, very nice image rendering. Don't pay the premium for the Nikkor 55/2.8, it's not as contrasty and for close-ups not as sharp as the 55/3.5, although the differences in sharpness are quite small and only relevant to the avid pixel-peeper (like me :smile:).

If you stumble on a macro 50mm or 55mm of another brand for a good price, I'd say just go for it; the extra adapter only costs $20 extra and almost all macro lenses are at least very good, if not excellent. Only drawback is that you can't use them on your D200; my guess is that you'll like the Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 very much on the D200 as well. AF and macro don't go together very well anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I like the 55mm 3.5 Nikon but have owned the F2.8 as well. I prefer the F3.5 for it's usually cheaper price. The F2.8 is notorious for wet aperture blades so be cautious if you go that route.

I like the focal length. The native 1:2 magnification is usually enough. I do have a $10 M2 tube that'll take it to 1:1 and a PN1 tube that I can use or stack for even more mag. The PN1 is nice in that it has a built in rotatable tripod mount.

If you do go the add on lens route I highly recommend getting an achromat like the Canon 500D or Marumi. They're very good optically.

A few samples.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One with the PN1 + M2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Indeed, forgot about that. I've had mine cleaned twice and the aperture blades became oily for a third time; I simply gave up on it.

8. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    This is actually a good option and a great price. Especially if you intend to use it for portraits or short-tele use on the D200. If just close ups stick with a manual focus lens.

The 60mm does repro 1:1 on it's own.

9. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Close up filters are usually not very good optically, so a Marumi or a Raynox may be a better option. (I am also trying to decide between getting a dedicated macro lens (legacy lens) or an add on like the Raynox.
    Amazon.com: DCR-150 Snap-On Macro Lens: Electronics

From what I have read the Raynox works well on the 40-150mm and also works on the 45mm 1.8 - here is a photo taken by another forum member using the 45mm 1.8 and the Raynox 150:
    Butterfly Dreams-1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here is one with the 40-150mm and Raynox 150:
    Random Stuff - 12 - E-PM1 - OLYMPUS M.40-150mm F4.0-5.6 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I am currently playing with a Raynox DCR-150 macro converter lens. I've put it on the Oly 40-150mm and on the kit lens and so far, I've been pretty happy with the results.

• Like Like x 2
  11. p@ul

p@ul Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2011
    Does anyone have any experience with the Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm f/3.5 Macro ED Lens. I've never done macro, but the 35mm looks interesting. Is that a good focal length for macro?

12. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    You can you use other mounts on Nikon, it's just that you lose infinity focus, no big deal when doing macro.

13. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Thanks Ad and John - I will indeed take a closer look at the 55mm f/3.5! Beautiful sample shots, by the way. From your experiences, how has the working distance been with that lens on m43?

14. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Theres a few good threads on macro on the forum

https://www.mu-43.com/f40/suggestions-good-adapted-macro-lens-20311/

The Kiron 105mm seems to be very highly regarded.

I have the OM Zuiko 55mm f3.5 which I really enjoy. I'd like to get a 1:1 Macro or something with longer reach but I haven't yet decided if its worth the step-up in $$$

• Like Like x 2
  15. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Working distance at 1:2 is approx. 4" from subject to front thread. Add 27.5mm of extension to get 1:1 and wd is halved.

Another consideration is weight. I had a Tokina 90mm 2.5 and it produced marvelous imagery but the weight made it unweildy. Having the lens on a F to m43 adapter put the weight way out in front of the body. Handholding wasn't bad but tripod work wasn't too much fun. I downsized my tripod for the smaller gear - it just wasn't up to it. It crumpled my table top setup. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. zucchiniboy

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Thanks, that's super helpful! Are you able to handhold with much success using the 55, or do you usually have to shoot it on a tripod?

17. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Practically all my close up shooting is handheld. It's usually at wider apertures and not too close in. The closer in, the more dof needed requiring support.

It was with the 90mm that I felt the need to put it on a tripod more than not.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I see you can get a Raynox DCR-250 as well, as anyone tried that, is that too much magnification?
    Think I'll get either the 150 or the 250 though as they seem a good cheap macro option.

Paul

19. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I have the 150 and 250 and they can be stacked. Quality is good. There are a few Raynox user groups on Flickr. Check them out to see what can be done with these optics. I haven't tried mine with the E-PL1 yet but they work with most lenses- either clipped on or via a step-ring.