various Gobe filters on steep discount on Amazon

SyZyGy

Mu-43 Regular
46mm ND 3 filter (2 peak) kit 65% off Example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DTB7RBB
46mm ND1000 single (2 peak) 75% off example: https://www.amazon.com/Gobe-ND1000-46mm-16-Layer-Filter/dp/B01INYL8XC
55mm Variable ND (1 peak) 80% off example: https://www.amazon.com/Gobe-Variable-Neutral-Density-Filter/dp/B01514VOK4

Not all sizes on discount, but here's a few that I found. Discount seems (?) to be because Gobe is changing name to Urth. 1-peak is entry, 2-peak mid-level, 3-peak is "pro." Might be other sizes, other types like CPL or kits, etc. But these might be a good starting point for your specific needs. They seem to have decent enough reviews at regular prices. Hope this helps someone!

SyZyGy

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks! I just picked up the 62mm (2 peak) and, even with adding the needed step up ring, it was still a steal!
Welcome!
And yeah, I wasn't sure but thought them oddly good deals. It's not easy to navigate, since not everything is discounted. Prices and percentages all over the place. You kind of need to dig to find what you'd want.

a 3-peak CPL for $18?? https://www.amazon.com/Gobe-Schott-16-Layer-Multi-Coated-Polarized/dp/B01ASRXVTQ
but 72mm?!? If folks get the step ups, that Schott glass should cover almost everything

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
This was mentioned in the Canadian deals thread a couple months ago, but I guess it was Amazon Canada only. I got "2Peak" ND16 and ND128 filters for my 12-100mm for $15 CAD each. I had never used ND filters before so I could only guess how many stops reduction I actually needed. Maybe I should have gotten ND1000 as well but sale is over now in Canada, so oh well maybe next time.

When I was browsing their products I only saw "3Peak" Urth-branded filters, no "3Peak" Gobe-branded filters, only "2Peak" at best for Gobe, so I am surprised. Maybe they offer wider selection on the USA site compared to the Canada site.

I was surprised at how slim the frame of the filters are. I guess they are meant to be stacked. Kinda annoying when trying to put the lens cap on, and I'm still getting used to snap-on len caps too.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I had never used ND filters before so I could only guess how many stops reduction I actually needed. Maybe I should have gotten ND1000 as well but sale is over now in Canada, so oh well maybe next time.

ND filters are hard to make well once you get above about 5+ stops and even the 5 stop ones can be iffy and give weird color casts. 1-3 stops are pretty well understood and you almost never see too many complaints about color shift with those and if there is a little shift it can be easily corrected. But whenever you see ND1000 (10 stop) filter reviews there is always a lot of talk about how well they handle color shift or making weird colors which can be harder to correct if the shifts and changes are not even across the spectrum.

Anyway, that is a long winded way of saying if you are just starting with ND filters, the two you picked are probably better to learn with and the ND1000 was probably the better one to leave in the shopping cart. I suspect if you do use them both the ND16 will get most of the use.

The ND filter I use the most is a 3-stop and mostly it is to utilize a flash during the day light hours and being able to get the shutter speed under the flash sync speed. As an example, if my E-M1.1's sync speed it 1/250 (I am not sure off the top of my head what it actually is) and during the day in "A" mode my shutter wants to be 1/1000, an ND8 filter drops my shutter to 1/125 which is perfect for using my flash without having to use the "FP" mode or having to close down my aperture more than I want.

billca

Mu-43 Veteran
This was mentioned in the Canadian deals thread a couple months ago, but I guess it was Amazon Canada only. I got "2Peak" ND16 and ND128 filters for my 12-100mm for $15 CAD each. I had never used ND filters before so I could only guess how many stops reduction I actually needed. Maybe I should have gotten ND1000 as well but sale is over now in Canada, so oh well maybe next time.

When I was browsing their products I only saw "3Peak" Urth-branded filters, no "3Peak" Gobe-branded filters, only "2Peak" at best for Gobe, so I am surprised. Maybe they offer wider selection on the USA site compared to the Canada site.

I was surprised at how slim the frame of the filters are. I guess they are meant to be stacked. Kinda annoying when trying to put the lens cap on, and I'm still getting used to snap-on len caps too.

I picked up a 46mm 3 peak CPL a couple of hours ago on Amazon Canada. $14.25

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Anybody know how wide angle is too wide and how much telephoto is too much when it comes to the ND2-400?
Are you thinking of color shifts across a sky? If so, that is more to do with polarized light and the use of a polarizing filter across a wide range where the polarization across the scene is not even.
ND filters, on the other hand, (in theory) attenuate the light across the entire scene equally across all visible spectrums.

Real Name
Mike
Are you thinking of color shifts across a sky? If so, that is more to do with polarized light and the use of a polarizing filter across a wide range where the polarization across the scene is not even.
ND filters, on the other hand, (in theory) attenuate the light across the entire scene equally across all visible spectrums.
No, not for CPLs, but the variable ND filter.

Gobe's page suggests that there are issues. Or wait, when I check a different product page the information actually mentions a focal length on the wide-angle side, though not the telephoto. I'd imagine in the very least UWA would have issues with thicker filter rims blocking light, but it sounds like they're referencing something beyond that.

--

Considerations​

Not for wide-angle
We recommend using Fixed ND filters, or Variable ND2-32 or ND8-128 with < 35mm focal lengths. This filter can only be rotated about halfway along the Min to Max range without encountering an x-pattern – you can thank physics for this restriction.

Not for telephoto
For telephoto lenses, we recommend using a Variable ND2-32 or Variable ND8-128 or 2Peak Fixed ND filters avoid any limitations and to achieve the best results for your images.
--

That said, I probably don't want the high values or the low values and one or two fixed ND probably will be fine for me.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
Nice... I've been shopping for a 67mm CPL for a month now. I do have a 72mm but hate the step up ring (can't use lens hood). I'd be all over this if they had 67mm left.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom