1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

various forum confusions

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by lori B, Apr 7, 2010.

1. lori B

lori B Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    san francisco, ca
    i have only participated in one other forum ever so i am something of a novice with the mechanics which, at this moment, are frustrating.

BB, the lovely moderator, told me i had to "enable instant messaging" in order to send and receive private messages. on the other forum in which i participated, there was simply a PM (private message) system internal to the forum.
    i am not presently an instant messager on any of the listed services (though i use gmail constantly). does this mean i need to sign up for one in order to send and receive PMs here?
    and
    what is ICQ?

thanks in advance for patience and a little guidance.
    i look forward to talking less about housekeeping and more about all things M43!

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Didn't realise this - I find the PM system on forums very useful for private conversations such as when selling or buying. I'm not an instant message person either.

Come to think of it I'm sure I've received PMs here - mods only perhaps?

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Lori,

under your name, top right of this page you should see a link to Private Messages (it's possible this will only be visible after 3 posts, as with the Thanks thumbs up you can give bottom right of every message post).

Follow the Private Messages link, and on the left of the screen, look for Settings & Options and in that box there's a link to Edit Options

Click on Edit Options, and you can tick the box in the main screen for Enable Private Messaging.

It could be this all happens automatically after you've posted 3 messages to the forum (not sure how Amin has this set up).

Welcome to the forum! I hope you'll make yourself at home :friends:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Lori, if you haven't yet please read the 3 stickies at the top of this forum because it explains a great deal about the workings of the site. Although you chose to send me a number of Visitor's messages, reading the stickies will outline things much more clearly.:thumbup:

5. lori B

lori B Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    san francisco, ca
    on the strength of the magic and charm contained in the number THREE, i am posting a third time, hoping i may lose my status as a mere pumpkin and transform, at the push of a button, into a full-fledged Mu-43!
    (and yes, i will read the three stickies on top of this forum next...)
    thanks for help and guidance

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Lori,
    I've been waiting for that 3rd post...
    Now you are real....
    Any questions, I'll be glad to help....
    Welcome...
    Shooter

• Like Like x 1
  7. lori B

lori B Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    san francisco, ca
    ahhh, so happy you are at the ready, Shooter, because i am still here in rags, no carriage yet. i just got able to see the THANKS button at the bottom of posts and used it on yours and, hallelujah, it worked! Brian posted <under your name, top right of this page you should see a link to Private Messages> and i want so badly to see that, to enable that (although i feel foolish because i have, at this moment, NOTHING private to say. BUT IF I DID...).
    so
    i have read the Top most Stickies and understand a lot
    BUT i need more help with that particular Private Message thing.
    i can be chatted on gmail at alphabetlover if that would be easier...
    thanks

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    lori welcome to the forum , i hope you will enjoy all its varied charms , for me the pm is rarely used , i just answer thread questions when i feel i have something of value to add and post a few images to share with the other folks here and even start a thread now and then , cheers

• Like Like x 1
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, 3 is the number. Some bots are programmed to post 1-2 times quickly and then start to send PM spam to everyone. Unfortunately disabling outgoing PM for new members was the only way to stop that.

I send all new members a welcome PM, which should include a brief statement explaining that 3 posts are necessary to send a PM, email, or post in Buy/Sell.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Lori's alive now Amin...
    I came to her rescue........she's alive I tell ya ALIVE....

11. lori B

lori B Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    san francisco, ca
    ola, chicas, yes, it's true:
    with help from you all, i am FULLY FUNCTIONAL,
    armed with thumbs up, pms, the whole catastrophe (as Zorba said).
    see you around the threads OR meet you back here as
    soon as i run into a roadblock again!
    thanks everyone
    for help and welcome.

12. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Allright Lori...ya got things to do here...
    the Image Quest is waiting for you and so is the Straight Talk Discussion Group...and don't forget the Photo A Day project.....
    These things are put in place and designed to help you become all that you are capable of becoming.....
    Enjoy but get to work...
    shooter

• Like Like x 1
  13. lori B

lori B Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    san francisco, ca
    enticing but
    WHERE, prey tell, ARE these things?
    the search function does not render them
    immediately apparent...