1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

variable Nd filter

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by kurt1968, Jan 29, 2015.

1. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    Hi , i would like to experiment Nd filter.
    I could buy a variable ND filter 2 TO 400.
    Are these any good?

2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Several years ago I looked into them for video work and based on what was available at that time, all but the most expensive options had negative effects on image quality (i.e., reducing sharpness and introducing color casts). I'd be interested to know if any of the lower to mid priced options today are any better.

3. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    I have one on the way at the moment, £6 including postage, I suspect I know what it will be like though ;) I will post back with the results of it does not go in the bin after the test shots, like the Raynox Wide Angle Converter did. :(

Paul

4. CaptureLights

CaptureLights Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 4, 2014
  5. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    Personally I think it makes more sense to get a few standard filters, particularly if you're just looking to experiment to begin with. Try Marumi, Hoya or B+W - all have good value options.

It seems you have to spend a serious amount money to get a variable ND that doesn't impact on image quality - though I'd be interested to know if anyone's found something reasonably priced that competes with the normal ND filters.

6. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    In the past the variable ND filters put an X in the photo as it got darker. I wonder if this has been corrected. If so, I would be willing to invest in a good one as this would really be a big help/time saver.

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

ND filtes are basically two polarizers back to back... exhibit all the problems associated. In a pinch, you can take two polarizers and try it out yourself (holding them infront of lens).

For still photography, you rarely need that granularity of control. Think about it.... do you really care whether or not Tv is 1/2 stop faster or slower? Is it worth the issues? The only application that often requires such granular control out of an ND is really those that shoot video.

I generally carry a 3 stop and a 10 stop and rarely have felt the need for anything else. 3 stop to achieve a wider aperture in bright day light. 10 stop for longer exposures on tripod.

8. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    I suppose all we need is three ND filters 2 as said just above and one Graduated to darken the sky, and as far as graduated ones are concerned I suppose the old slip in types like the old Cokin's are a much better option as they are fully adjustable, unlike a round grad would be.

Paul