vanguard SBH-250 And L-Bracket

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I think the best way is to add an Arca/Swiss adapter, like the Desmond DAC-X1 50mm Quick Release Skeleton Clamp:

Desmond DAC-X1 50mm Quick Release Skeleton Clamp DAC-X1 B&H

Desmond makes a few adapter clamps like that (some smaller, some large), but I find that one to be the best overall. The only downside is that you have to mount it on top of the built-in Vanguard QR plate (you cannot use it to REPLACE the Vanguard plate), so you have to tighten things down well, and it does add a few ounces of weight.

PantelisMor

Mu-43 Veteran
Or maybe a better solution would be a ball head Arca/Swiss.

Which head is good under 100.00 euro ??

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
There are a lot of ballheads that meet your criteria. I really like the inexpensive Smith-Victor heads, but they don't seem to be available any more. The Sunwayfoto FB-28i:

Sunwayfoto FB-28i Ball Head FB-28I B&H Photo Video

looks nice, and the well-known company Benro seems to have a bunch of similar arca ballheads too.

The best bang for buck in a small arca ballhead is the Joby Head X:

Joby Ballhead X (Black) JB00157 B&H Photo Video

I use it on several travel tripods and it works great; and it has a separate pan lock, which can be hard to find at this price (e.g. those pathetic Manfrotto heads with only one knob).

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
It looks very nice. I would assume that anything made by Sirui is pretty high quality. I have several of their tripods and think they are very good. The head is a little more thna you wanted to spend, I thought, but, yeah, it's nice (even has a tension control!).

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Replace any non Area-Swiss clamp with one that is. Any existing clamp should spin off the shaft coming out of the ball. Arca-Swiss compatible clamps from Sunwayphoto and others are dirt cheap at B&H, Adorama,...etc.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I own a K-10X & K-20X. Both excellent ball heads IMO, and I'm not really certain what else I would need from a ball head.

I have no problem recommending either of those ball heads. I use the K-20X on my larger tripod, and the K-10X on smaller tripods

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
The sirui are very nice. I have two. The Vanguard heads are nice too. I have a SBH-100 for sale now. It is arca compatible and plenty for m43 gear.
I agree with you that Vanguard heads are nice, but I think you are not correct that the SBH-100 is arca compatible. I looked at your for sale pictures and it looks like a standard (unmodified) SBH-100, which has a Vanguard QR system that uses a Vanguard QR plate, not arca/swiss. I am not disparaging the head in any way, just don't want any possible buyer to be unhappy. :)

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
How about Sirui K-20x Ball Head ?
Sirui heads are often a good value for their price, but I really recommend trying any head before purchasing. A good head is a pleasure to use, and a bad head will make you want to toss your whole tripod setup over the nearest cliff. Keep in mind things like tension knobs and lever vs. screw clamps among other things.

Good luck,

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom