Vanguard SBH-200 Ballhead--Tripod suggestions, anyone?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by JoeG, May 23, 2010.

1. JoeG

JoeG Mu-43 Regular

I've had this about a week, and it goes perfectly with my G1 and any lens I'm ever likely to put on it. Two bubble levels and rock solid for mu43 gear. A bargain, I think, at $70 from Amazon. I'm probably missing something, but I can't think of anything it gives up to the $300+ options. I couldn't be happier with it.

The only problem is that it shows up the limits of my old Velbon tripod. It's fine for grabbing shots, but I don't think it would work well for loooong exposures, which I'd like to try. I've looked at the Manfrotto 190's many people have recommended here and they are slick, but the taller 055 series might be a better bet. That would mean carbon fiber. Otherwise they get too heavy.

Of course, everyone loves Gitzo, but I've never even seen one. The basalt series might be within my budget if that's better than Manfrotto.

Any comments about these or other tripod choices?
    __

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

3. JoeG

JoeG Mu-43 Regular

I meant to post a photo of the ballhead, but couldn't get it to work the usual way, loading from my computer. So here it is--I hope--using the gallery approach. Notice those rubber-knurled rings and the safety catch. You have to press that orange button to release the quick release plate, which by the way, fits the G1 perfectly. Vanguard supplies the head with two plates for those of you who shoot two bodies--or tend to lose things.

[​IMG]