1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Value of unopened E-M10 from Private seller?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SkiHound, Feb 21, 2014.

1. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    So, I was thinking of ordering a 12-40 and had plans to try to get the 75 at some point in the future. Olympus has a buy an OMD and get $200 off each of the above lenses. Really wasn't planning on another body but it's effectively $300 above the cost of the two lenses (compared to buying them straight up). If I do this I might keep the body because it certainly looks like a nice camera. But does anyone have a guess what it would be worth unopened in the original box with warranty card? Just curious.

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Full retail or very close to it. This camera is still new and sells for full retail on ebay if it is still sealed.

3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    well... considering how new it is- probably $699 USD :wink: (that's for the body only).

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Warranty concerns might beat down your price, Olympus USA says the warranty applies only to original purchaser and is not transferable. They ask for proof of purchase from an authorized Olympus dealer.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The price of an unopened camera from a private seller is basically the same as a an opened used mint condition camera from a private seller, which is lower than a full retail camera but higher than your average used piece. That's primarily because you're losing your warranty from a private seller. You might be able to move it for 650 shipped if you're reasonably lucky.

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I got $500 with your name on it...

7. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    As I think about this more it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless I want to keep the body. Since I know I want both lenses at some point...

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yes - I'd slice several hundred dollars off the price because (1) there's no seller to return it to and (2) at least in the US there's no warranty. That's an unacceptable risk without a big discount.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Consider buying refurbished, and adding an extended warranty. You'll come out ahead of the lens + body discounts.

10. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    From what I understand, the warranty is 1 year for a new lens, and 90 days for a refurbished lens. You can buy an additional 4 year warranty for a lens for $79 provided you purchase it within the original warranty period (one year or 90 days). Is that correct?

11. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes. Extended warranty on lenses is $60 though (or occasionally less if you find a deal).

12. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    At the risk of getting too far off topic, have you generally found it to be worth it to purchase an extended warranty on a refurb? I've never had any issues with any lenses in the past, but this is the first time I've been looking at refubs. My thinking has been that it may be worth it for lenses like the 12-40mm/1.8, 75mm/1.8 or similar relatively expensive lenses, but maybe not so much with the 45mm.

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    True, but some dealers who sell refurbs (like Cameta) provide an extended warranty for the balance of the year at no additional cost.

14. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Where are folks finding refurbished lenses? I've looked on Olympusamerica and cameta. Neither has either lens currently available.

15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Refurbished lenses and cameras come and go. You either have to watch for them or get lucky and stumble on them. Often there are only a small number available but other times there are dozens{or more}. Just this last week there were a small number of high end refurb lenses on Olympus' site. I got there too late!:mad:

16. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've not had issues with my m4/3 lenses, refurb or no, and so far I've not gotten the extended warranty. That said, my 2 ZD 12-60/2.8-4.0 samples had a total of 3 AF motor failures between them and the front element broke off of one when I was unscrewing the hood, making for around $750 in repairs total. They weren't refurbs (one was secondhand, the other I bought new) but for any lens that I use heavily and costs more than $300 to replace, I plan on getting the extended warranty in the future.

• Like Like x 1