1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Value of RAW...

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Djarum, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    So, I'm a firm believer that the JPEG engine out of my OLY E-PL2 works 95 percent of the time. I rarely find that I need to use RAW. This is one instance where RAW is an added value. Luckily Olympus underexposes in RAW.

Keep in mind this is not a great picture. I grabbed this shot really quick. This little bird hung on that branch for all of about 20s econds before going back into the tree. Focus is slightly off too. The more important thing is that JPEG blew it all out....

P2011256blown.JPG

Same picture using Rawtherapee...

P2011256.

A little better I think...

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yes, that is what RAW does best, greater range of light adjustments (especially light balance).

Couldn't you easily tone down/darken the jpeg for a similar image as the RAW?

Gary

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I tried. Couldn't get anywhere close. Most of the breast/plumage of the bird, in JPEG, was pegged at 255,255,255. Rawtherapee showed that most of the area was actually just under 12 bit white value, which allowed me to to preserve some detail.

The obvious downside to Olympus's design is the need to push shadows will show noise in the shadows.