1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

V-Log L on GH4

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ijm5012, Sep 15, 2015.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    So as many of you are aware, there is a "free" way to get V-Log L on your GH4, before it is officially released, whether you paid for it or not. I'm not going to post about how to obtain this, but for any who may have done so, just how big of a difference is there between graded V-Log L footage and graded Cinelike D footage (the "flatest" color profile on the GH4 prior to V-Log L)? I'd be curious to see just how much more detail is retained in the highlight/shadow areas after grading, so get an idea of whether or not it would warrant the purchase, or if I should just stick with Cinelike D and save the money.

2. robzr

robzr Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Does anyone have a copy of the V23 firmware? Looks like Panasonic pulled it from their site.

Rob

3. robzr

robzr Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    Portland, OR
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

No free lunch ...
    For starters, Panasonic already posted something on LumixLounge.Com that explains that subsequent updates to the mobile app and firmware updates will deactivate the free activations, as will any service activity. More important, it's been discovered that when you save Vlog to a custom profile (part of the free procedure), the histogram info is not displayed properly and your video is not exposed correctly. Capturing any Vlog video using the proper exposure is key to having it work correctly. The new firmware version is already on line.

At best it was a sneak peak into what Vlog looks like and it still requires you apply an LUT to the video using Adobe Premier or some other similar software. Looks like no free lunch after all!