1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

UWA lens depth of field.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by msammut, Aug 4, 2012.

1. msammut

msammut Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can put a few test shots up using the Panasonic 7-14 and oly 9-18 showing what sort of (if any) depth of field you can achieve with these.

Perhaps 1m away from subject and how it comes up against the back ground.

Main thing I need it for is fishing photography to get close to the subject with meter plus fish in view and to try to get some blur in the back ground.

2. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

you probably need the Oly 12mm f2 if you want to get any bokeh out of a wide angle lens. An UWA lens with a moderate size aperture is quite a challenge to get the result you need

3. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I just received the Rokinon 7.5mm so was looking at a DOF calculator for that focal length. Even at the widest aperture - 3.5 - the DOF goes from 1.5ft to infinity when focusing at the hyperfocal. It's probably not much better at 14mm.

Check out a DOF calculator before you commit to buying an UWA lens if what you want is bokeh.

4. msammut

msammut Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012
    Thanks for that guys :)

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    You can get shallow DOF out of the 7-14, but only at fairly close focusing distances. Even the 12 f/2 is going to have pretty deep DOF at normal sorts of distances. That's simply a characteristic of wide angles.

And while I may be a bit pedantic, I can't hep but comment on the (mis) use of terms. This phrase: "what sort of (if any) depth of field you can achieve" is really the opposite of what the OP meant. DOF doesn't mean blurred backgrounds. DOF describes the entire phenomenon, from very shallow to very deep. The 7-14 actually can get you LOTS of DOF.

And "bokeh" is not synonymous with shallow DOF. The pharse "you probably need the Oly 12mm f2 if you want to get any bokeh out of a wide angle lens" is pretty much meaningless. Bokeh describes the character of the out of focus areas of an image (e.g., smooth, creamy, harsh, etc.) not how shallow DOF is. The 7-14 actually has pretty decent bokeh. It just doesn't have very shallow DOF, except at close focusing distances.

• Like Like x 4
  6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    @meyerweb
    There's such an echo chamber of misinformation and misuse of terminology on the internet that it's really a breath of fresh air to read accurate info on this subject.

7. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    @fredlong
    +1