UWA for video vlogging

kerodean

Mu-43 Rookie
Hey, I recently bought an Olympus EM5 MIII and have the 12-40 pro and 40-150 (non pro) lenses. I am looking for an ultra wide angle vlogging lens and have scoured the internet searching for selfie style video of all the contenders without much definitive luck. I so far have tried the Laowa 7.5 f2 (the corners are warpy jello with stabilisation mode 1 on the Olympus even when the lens setting set to 7.5). I also compared it to the SLR Magic 8mm (I made a video comparing them here) and even the 8mm was warpy and jello in the corners with video and stabilisation setting 1 with lens mm set to 8. I know theres the Olympus 7-14pro that looks perfect, from the videos I've seen it doesnt warp in the corners but its enormous and heavy (over 500g!). I know about the Panasonic 7-14 and 8-18 both which are slightly more bearable at 300~g but still a bit big. And finally the Olympus 9-18 seems like a contender and is perfectly small and lightweight. As are the 9mm body cap lens and the unbranded 8mm cctv lenses. But I would prefer not to have to defish. Not a big fan of the fisheye look.

So I guess what I'm wondering is if the Olympus 9-18 is really wide enough for vlogging compared to the 12mm (of my 12-40). I did a video here with the 12-40 but it feels a bit too tight. I wonder if anyone has an Olympus 9-18mm and em1 m2 or em5 m3 to test the stabilisation. I'm wondering it its warpy or stable and if its wide enough. Or if theres any other lenses I could consider. I would be willing to use a wide-angle converter on the 12mm too if such a thing exists. The corners dont need to be sharp for video but I just dont want them to look warpy and jello-y like they do on the Laowa 7.5 and 8mm SLR.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Hi, the 4/3 ZD 7-14/4 is very cheap now, but even more enormous and heavy than the m.ZD Pro.
If you get one, you'll need the Oly or Pana adapter; the third-party ones are often not flat enough for UWA.

kerodean

Mu-43 Rookie
I agree with wjiang, the warping has nothing to do with the lens, it's the IBIS causing this. To reduce this, try IBIS + digital stabilization and it will minimize as much as possible with any lens.
I always use stabilisation setting '1' which is IBIS plus digital. Or do you mean apply extra stabilisation in post? I guess wjiang is right though. UWA will always jello without a gimbal I guess.

Last edited:

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Good question on the video aspects of the wide angle.
12mm with MFT on a stick should be long enough unless there is a Crop in the 4K video.
And for some a wider lens would be ideal.

As for the jello effect, that will happen with any UWA lens regardless of brand or price. It's just another factor of learning UWA lens ability and limitations. There is a lot to learn shooting UWA lenses. Unlike normal range lenses UWA do require understanding of how to use it. Also, rolling shutter can also contribute to various angles of the jello effect.

Anyway, I've over-used the UAW and learned the hardway, that it's a specialty lens that works great for specific conditions and compositions. IMO every photographer should experience and learn the UWA for a better understanding of composition, and the ability to create unique shots.

Thus, the Lowa 7.5mm or any of the MFT ultra wide zooms would work if you plan to go UWA. For camera on a stick, the Lowa 7.5mm would be my choice due to the size and weight. The UWA zooms weigh about as much as a camera but they offer a wide range of compositions you can't get with a prime while shooting video.

Good luck on your vloging venture. Post some video when you get the chance.

kerodean

Mu-43 Rookie
Good question on the video aspects of the wide angle.
12mm with MFT on a stick should be long enough unless there is a Crop in the 4K video.
And for some a wider lens would be ideal.

As for the jello effect, that will happen with any UWA lens regardless of brand or price. It's just another factor of learning UWA lens ability and limitations. There is a lot to learn shooting UWA lenses. Unlike normal range lenses UWA do require understanding of how to use it. Also, rolling shutter can also contribute to various angles of the jello effect.

Anyway, I've over-used the UAW and learned the hardway, that it's a specialty lens that works great for specific conditions and compositions. IMO every photographer should experience and learn the UWA for a better understanding of composition, and the ability to create unique shots.

Thus, the Lowa 7.5mm or any of the MFT ultra wide zooms would work if you plan to go UWA. For camera on a stick, the Lowa 7.5mm would be my choice due to the size and weight. The UWA zooms weigh about as much as a camera but they offer a wide range of compositions you can't get with a prime while shooting video.

Good luck on your vloging venture. Post some video when you get the chance.
Thanks for the info. I did the comparison video here. I mostly have a camera on a tripod though. iphone 11 wide angle has no jello for vlogging annoyingly enough lol

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom