1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

UWA for m43?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by xdayv, Aug 30, 2011.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    what will you recommend for ultra wide angle lens?

i think the choices are not much. since i have nikon for the serious shoots, i will use the m43 for travel and street. i'm currently using 20 and 14 panny. i need wider than 14. choices that come into play are the panny 7-14, oly 9-18 or the oly 12. the oly 12 might not be too wide for me (24mm equivalent). so i'm currently choosing between 7-14 or 9-18.

:smile:

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    They're both fine lenses, so it really comes down to the extra 2mm of width covered (which is a fair amount - if it matters it might be ALL that matters) vs the size/weight and price advantages of the 9-18, and its ability to use filters. I chose the 9-18 because of the size/weight and price and I didn't really need that extra 2mm - 9 is plenty wide for my purposes. And going up to 18 at the long end makes this a pretty great walk-around lens, while the 14 at the long end of the 7-14 is a bit more limiting, but not much really. For travel and street, I'd go 9-18, but for really serious UWA shooting, you might prefer the extra width.

Optically, they're both very good. I think there are some tests that show the 7-14 very slightly better in one or two areas, but they're both good enough that I've never seen anyone complain about either.

-Ray

3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    thanks ray for the input. :smile:

4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    thanks, i've been following that thread too... well, been reading a lot here. wonderful forum.

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There are several threads - this appears to be the hardest decision in m43-dom

• Like Like x 1
  6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I am a 9-18 fan myself. The three lenses I carry around the most are the 20, 14 and 9-18. If someone comes out with a small 10 sometime I might consider replacing it but until then the 9-18 fits the bill.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I've owned both lenses - unless you specifically know you need the 7-8mm, there is not much reason to shell out the extra $ for the 7-14mm. The 9-18mm is more compact, well built, has a great walk-around range (18mm easily gets into a nice wide-normal perspective), and it takes filters (if you need them). Neither is stabilized so that is a wash (might want to consider an older Oly body to go with the 9-18mm, give you handheld shots down around 1/5th!).

The 7-14mm is a specialized lens that often ends up giving you an artistic, but not necessarily real perspective. If you are shooting street, this doesn't sound like what you'd be looking for to me at least!

• Like Like x 1
  8. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I love, love, LOVE my 7—14mm Panny!

Did I mention I love it?

Don't forget there is a native M4/3 8mm Panasonic prime lens.

• Like Like x 1
  9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I've had both. They're both excellent lenses. I do have use for the extra 2mm, so I sold my 9-18. I really wish I hadn't. While I would keep my 7-14 I think the 9-18 is just a super useful focal range for every day use and the size and colours are better on the Olympus. The Panny may be fractionally sharper and I'm a sucker for constant aperture lenses. Yes, the hardest choice in m4/3.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  10. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Well, at least you're aware that there are only two choices available for you. I have the 7-14 but I understand the 9-18 is just as good. Now the question is, which one will you be getting.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would get the Lumix 7-14mm f/4. :) In fact, that's probably the only Micro Four-Thirds native zoom lens I would buy from current options.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, but it's a fisheye.

I use it a lot more than I thought I would though!

13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Both excellent lenses. I would enjoy having the 9-18, but my choice was for the 7-14 for the extra 2mm (which is a noticeable difference) and the slight extra edge in performance. This lens feels like pure quality and is a gem. Downside is it costs more and is a bit larger and heavier. Best bet... GET BOTH! :eek: :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  14. mseawell

mseawell New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2011
    Obermohr, Germany
    I have the the 7-14 Panasonic lense and I'm VERY pleased with it. Huge skies, focal point on foreground objects and the way it presents are outstanding. I've heard good things about the Olympus as well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I think the answer is definitely as win-win no matter which one you choose. I would say:

1. If UWA is your goal then the 7-14 is the best option. The xtra 2mm is a lot at the wide end.

2. If you want some UWA but also a more general purpose wide lens, and size and/or is important then the 9-18 can't be beat. The xtra 4mm at the long end is handy as well for this reason.

I went with the 9-18 primarily for size. I figured if I decided I really liked shooting UWA then I would buy the 7-14 later and sell the 9-18.

16. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    Of course there's also cost to consider, the 7-14 being almost double* the price of the 9-18.
    If money were no object I'd have the Panasonic, it is, so Ive got the 9-18.
    :smile:

* approx, uk prices.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I chose the 9-18 over the 7-14 for the following reasons:

1) IQ is perhaps a little worse, but it's still outstanding corner to corner.
    2) Smaller (much smaller when collapsed)
    3) Cheaper
    4) Can use filters and a snap-on lens cap
    5) I find 36mm-e useful much more often than 14mm-e

It's a personal decision of course. Both are excellent lenses. For me M43 is all about size, so the 9-18 is more compelling.

• Like Like x 1
  18. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I have both the Olympus 9-18mm and 12mm lenses. I would think that the general versatility of the 9-18mm lens would make it more appropriate for most people.

The 12mm lens is fine for me as I like shooting fairly wide and I use it as a walk-about lens (and of course for its larger aperture which assists focussing in low light). The MF on the 12mm is also brilliant and that now makes it my first choice for pre-dawn photography however I DO miss the advanage of the 9-18mm lens in composing a scene without the need to move.

I never considered the Panasonic 7-14mm as it couldn't take Cokin style filters which are essential for sunrise/sunset photography.

• Like Like x 1
  19. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    good idea LOL!!!

now this is getting harder than it seems LOL...