1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

UWA and Fisheye Questions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Lcrunyon, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Hi all,

I am contemplating a fast UWA lens for primarily getting into astrophotography and also enabling landscapes with lots of movement, where a panorama wouldn't be feasible. There are a number of factors playing tug-of-war with many of the upcoming options, and maybe you guys can help me sort out some of them.

The Voightlander 10.5mm f/.95 seems like the best choice for astrophotography, and I don't mind manual focus for the applications I would be using it for. But should I really be considering the EM-1 for astrophotography? I also have a Canon 7d Mk II, and while I currently don't plan on investing heavily into it, should I be considering options there as well? The APSC format would likely allow me to hold the shutter button open longer, but the EM-1 also has live composition... I have heard that there are techniques to get around the noise issue, but I also haven't seen many astrophotography examples from the EM-1 that blew me away like some of the DSLR shots I have seen - although that could be due more to post processing than system capabilities.

I am curious about the upcoming pro fisheye. I might find the fisheye effect a novelty I would use every once in a while (not sure, but it sounds fun), but if I want to get a non-distorted, wide angle shot, can I correct it in post processing? Also, were I to use it for astrophotography, would the fisheye effect impact the 500 rule?

I love my pro lenses, so the 7-14 is also a possibility (this statement is admittedly mostly fueled by GAS). But, not being as fast as the other two, it's probably the last option. It has a bit more width, but can anyone show me how much of a difference that would make? Also, I think that when applying it to the 500 rule, the Voightlander still wins. Sharpness would be a factor to compare as well, though. As for zoom vs prime, I'm normally a zoom guy (especially with these pro lenses), but at the extreme ends of focal length I don't think it matters, and the 7-14 would overlap with the 12-40 anyways.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm not into astro, but if I were, I'd be looking to FF, and probably a low(ish) pixel count - maybe a Nikon Df. Photon capture capability is much enhanced as the pixels get bigger. I'd pair that with a Nikkor 24/1.4, or maybe the Sigma 24/1.8 if I wanted to spend less.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    You're probably right on going ff. If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably do something like that. But for now, I want to stick with the camera systems I have. I should caveat that I currently live in the city, so astrophotography won't be a common genre for me. That's why such a lens would need to be able to do double duty.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I love wide angle lenses but for me, having a super-fast aperture isn't top of the list of requirements. DOF will still be pretty deep even at f0.95 and for most WA shots, a fast shutter speed is not a requirement - in fact, it's usually the contrary with me and I'll add a 10-stop ND to get long shutter speeds. I'm personally still looking for an UWA prime that takes filters. The Kowa 8.5 is the nearest yet. I currently use the Panasonic 7-14 which is a great lens, but lacks filter-taking capability.

Fisheye lenses are fun and on u43, we have the excellent Samyang/Rokinon 7.5 which is optically superb and not too expensive. I'd suggest you just go and buy one! Defishing is easy using a variety of tools (Hugin is excellent if a little difficult to use) but you lose resolution dramatically at the edges as a result.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Cool! I have Hugin.

Agreed on speed not normally a requirement for landscape. I use my 12-40 with a full Lee Seven5 filter set for landscapes, and I enjoy doing panos and/or long exposure. This is why a fast UWA lens would serve only very niche purposes.