UWA and Fisheye Questions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Lcrunyon, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Hi all,

I am contemplating a fast UWA lens for primarily getting into astrophotography and also enabling landscapes with lots of movement, where a panorama wouldn't be feasible. There are a number of factors playing tug-of-war with many of the upcoming options, and maybe you guys can help me sort out some of them.

The Voightlander 10.5mm f/.95 seems like the best choice for astrophotography, and I don't mind manual focus for the applications I would be using it for. But should I really be considering the EM-1 for astrophotography? I also have a Canon 7d Mk II, and while I currently don't plan on investing heavily into it, should I be considering options there as well? The APSC format would likely allow me to hold the shutter button open longer, but the EM-1 also has live composition... I have heard that there are techniques to get around the noise issue, but I also haven't seen many astrophotography examples from the EM-1 that blew me away like some of the DSLR shots I have seen - although that could be due more to post processing than system capabilities.

I am curious about the upcoming pro fisheye. I might find the fisheye effect a novelty I would use every once in a while (not sure, but it sounds fun), but if I want to get a non-distorted, wide angle shot, can I correct it in post processing? Also, were I to use it for astrophotography, would the fisheye effect impact the 500 rule?

I love my pro lenses, so the 7-14 is also a possibility (this statement is admittedly mostly fueled by GAS). But, not being as fast as the other two, it's probably the last option. It has a bit more width, but can anyone show me how much of a difference that would make? Also, I think that when applying it to the 500 rule, the Voightlander still wins. Sharpness would be a factor to compare as well, though. As for zoom vs prime, I'm normally a zoom guy (especially with these pro lenses), but at the extreme ends of focal length I don't think it matters, and the 7-14 would overlap with the 12-40 anyways.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm not into astro, but if I were, I'd be looking to FF, and probably a low(ish) pixel count - maybe a Nikon Df. Photon capture capability is much enhanced as the pixels get bigger. I'd pair that with a Nikkor 24/1.4, or maybe the Sigma 24/1.8 if I wanted to spend less.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    You're probably right on going ff. If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably do something like that. But for now, I want to stick with the camera systems I have. I should caveat that I currently live in the city, so astrophotography won't be a common genre for me. That's why such a lens would need to be able to do double duty.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I love wide angle lenses but for me, having a super-fast aperture isn't top of the list of requirements. DOF will still be pretty deep even at f0.95 and for most WA shots, a fast shutter speed is not a requirement - in fact, it's usually the contrary with me and I'll add a 10-stop ND to get long shutter speeds. I'm personally still looking for an UWA prime that takes filters. The Kowa 8.5 is the nearest yet. I currently use the Panasonic 7-14 which is a great lens, but lacks filter-taking capability.

Fisheye lenses are fun and on u43, we have the excellent Samyang/Rokinon 7.5 which is optically superb and not too expensive. I'd suggest you just go and buy one! Defishing is easy using a variety of tools (Hugin is excellent if a little difficult to use) but you lose resolution dramatically at the edges as a result.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Cool! I have Hugin.

Agreed on speed not normally a requirement for landscape. I use my 12-40 with a full Lee Seven5 filter set for landscapes, and I enjoy doing panos and/or long exposure. This is why a fast UWA lens would serve only very niche purposes.