1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

UV filter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by goldjim, May 8, 2011.

1. goldjim

goldjim Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    Md.
    Does anyone use a high quality UV filter on their lenses for protection?

2. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Yes I use a UV filter on all my lenses, for protection.

However as I've said here before I don't believe there is any difference between those regarded as "high quality" and the rest. Consequently I use whatever I've got in a draw.

I've got KOOD filters on Leica lenses and despite scutinising the images intently at 100% on a 27" iMac screen cannot for the life of me see any difference whatsoever between them and filters costing up to 10X as much.

Nor am I able to see any difference whatsoever between using a filter and no filter. So rather that scratch my lens I use a filter which I can replace easily and cheaply, unlike the lens.

Its also a lot easier and safer to clean a filter than it is to clean a lens.

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I do most of the the time. But sometimes I notice that the filter is causing a glare, especially on the 20mm lens indoors or at night, and I take it off.

4. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Do you notice the glare before you take the picture, or only afterwards?

5. I find that framing through an LCD screen will give you a more accurate representation of flare because you're looking at the image as the sensor sees it. Through an optical SLR viewfinder I find flare is less obvious and shows up differently to how it appears in the final image.

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Before, in the LCD.

7. hellomrmoon

hellomrmoon Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2011
    California
    I use a UV filter on all my lenses. It's most convenient for me because if I have to do any cleaning, it's to the filter and not the front element, saving me from potentially damaging the front element or getting oil smudges or anything else unwanted.

From the filters I've used, I don't see much of a difference between expensive and cheap multi-coated filters in my photos, but I do have one single coated UV filter and I get bad flare every once in a while that I don't get when using the MC filters under the same conditions.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Ah yes, the hood vs filter for protection debate :wink:

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Here's an interesting read for you...:smile:
    --> Best of the photography forums - tutorials: Cheap filters and Bokeh .

10. eames

eames New to Mu-43

May 7, 2011
    Montreal
    If I'm using a $1800+ lens then yes, I use high quality UV filters... never know what might hit the camera in a professional environment.

But m43's? When my lenses cost me 200-600 at most in all honesty- I'd prefer not to have the extra bulk, and cheap UV filters in front of my lenses. I do, however use c-pol's and other filters from time to time.

Other than that, clear as day, and even a slight scratch on any lens wont kill its quality to an extreme. Cameras are meant to be used, not babied.

11. ismunn

ismunn New to Mu-43

May 1, 2011
    Worcestershire, UK
    I've got one on all my lenses, just for protection. They add little weight and as others have suggested, they are better for cleaning and for general protection. I wouldn't feel right without one!

12. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    The cheaper ones do cause issues. They can cause a haze like effect on the photos. So when I use a haze filter, I use high end ones. B+W or Tiffen HT to minimized any issues.

13. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I've certainly never found that.

14. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I have, and recently saw example of eBay quality filters on a l lens, and it was clear as day the haze it cause to the image.

15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    My first photo teacher taught us HIS theory... the less between the image and the film, the better. That always seemed to make sense to me.

I figure that goes for a sensor as well.

16. yoshi

yoshi Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    If you want less worry with your lens getting dirt and scrathes, use a filter.

But once you use a filter, I'd say get a good one with MC. You don't want a poor quality filter ended up affecting your shots quality. Better to go without a filter in that case.

17. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
  18. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    So you're going to get a Pinwide, and start shooting everything with that, right? :tongue:

19. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England