USS Yorktown (CV-10) In Charleston Harbor

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by khollister, Mar 14, 2016.

1. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    Spent quite a bit of time going through the Yorktown, the 2nd WWII carrier with that name, during our recent trip to Charleston, SC. The album is a mix of E-M5 mkII and Fuji X-T1 photos. All the EXIF data is there in Flickr.

I used both systems because I'm trying to decide if I should go down to a single system. I like both (for different reasons) but I can't say that IQ is much of a factor - after processing, the Fuji and Olympus images are not that distinguishable to me. I would be interested to know if anyone feels either is substantially preferable.

Album link

Teaser photo (m43) ... [Oops - this was a Fuji image, not Olympus. So sorry for the mistake :oops:]

25744578466_ac93e13843_b. Charleston Harbor from the USS Yorktown Bridge by Keith Hollister, on Flickr

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 8
  2. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    I don't carry both systems but I hate having to choose what to take on a particular outing and always seem to second guess my decision. There is also a slight economic motivation in that I no longer have a super tele to use on birds since getting rid of all my Nikon gear last year.

I thought I preferred the Fuji files when I started considering selling one or the other, but now I'm not so sure. I would be very curious as to what exactly you prefer in the Fuji images in my album because I'm not sure I could identify which camera took which shot if I didn't already know.

3. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    Yeah, I have been trying to convince myself otherwise but I also thought the tonal range was longer in the Fuji files. The Olympus system is so compelling in features and completeness - complete range of f/2.8 zooms, IBIS, focus bracketing, a great macro lens, wireless flash, etc. DXO PRIME took care off the noise issue.

I love using the Fuji's, but there are some gaps that I'm not sure are going to be closed - the midrange f/2.8 zoom is not stabilized, there is no 1:1 macro lens, the flash system is primitive and the 100-400 is pretty huge compared to the m43 options.

But I love the Fuji primes and I'm excited about the detail in the new sensor based on sample files I've seen from the X-Pro2. I'm less impressed by the noise which seems slightly higher than the X-T1

4. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

Very nice photos. Here in the San Francisco Bay area we have CV-12, the USS Hornet. Your photos remind me of my visits there. I want to go back now! :)

5. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    Thanks Bruce

6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Great photos, Keith. I haven't had a chance to tour a carrier yet, although I've seen plenty of air museums. Been close to getting on the USS Midway in San Diego, but the trip schedule didn't give enough wiggle room. One of these days. :)

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Very nice photos.

8. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    Thanks, Walter & Jason