Using Zoom H1 with GX7 on the Hot Shoe

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Zuri, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    Hey

I'd like to use the Zoom H1 with my GX7 attached to camera's hot shoe. I understand there is an adapter for that.

I mainly shoot videos of my daughter who is running and moving around a lot, so putting the recorder on her isn't really an option. So my best bet I think is using the recorder on the hot shoe.

Can anyone confirm what the hot shoe adapter in the following link can be used on the GX7? Anyone done something like that?

Zoom H1 On-Camera DSLR Audio Kit H1 B&H Photo Video

Also, will the windscreen in this kit be really useful outdoors?

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G935F

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  2. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    There is something wrong with your link. ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
  4. magIBIS

magIBIS New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2016
    Hi,
    the kit in the link will work. Though it is worth it, only if you really need all parts.
    The tiny H1 is imo a great fit for the small gx7 that has no mic input, nor a headphone jack. You will have to sync in post, but the better sound is worth it. So (1.) you don't need the cable. As you probably choose the combo for its size - the headphones are huge (2) and for the price they won't be better for monitoring than in-ear-headphones you probably already have. Some micro SD card is always nice - don't you have a spare (3)? For sound recording it does not have to be quick - just the read speed will matter when you download. The card in the kit is ok, but you get it cheap anywhere. The adapter for the hot shoe will fit. It will hold the H1 in one direction. But it will transport every single shake from the camera to the recorder through the screw. If you plan to use the camera handhold - you will hear it in the sound (4). The only solution is to use a flexible mount, like any shock mount for a hot shoe you will google. Some are smaller, some are adjustable (good for tripod, when the sound source is not in the axe of your lens, but worse for run and gun) - but one is necessary. And if you go outside, you need such a windshield. If that one is ok - don't know, probably. Though, if any or most of the points (1-4) make sense to you, the same money will serve for a better suited set. If you don't get the H1 + wind shield + shock mount for the money and don't have the spare card and headphones, then it's a good kit to start and add a shock mount later or separately.
    Hope I could help a bit and sorry for any wired tone - I don't use English that often.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    to extend what magIBIS says, get a sock ... its essentially a studio device without it.

each of the points he makes is bang on.

Also the device boots up slowly with bigger than 8Gig cards, so you may prefer to have a few 8Gig cards. However with MP3 recording you get a lot of time. I set mine to record at 220Kbits/S and its quite sufficient to edit in post

I'd just go with the stereo recording on the mic and sync sound in post. I agree also about the handling noise.

Keep in mind that the hot shoe mount itself is peanuts:

HTH ;-)

6. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2010
    You will want a proper touch sound insulating mount. Anything that fixes via rubber or metal alone will make the ZoomH1 pick up all touches on the camera, so the mount included in this set is useless. The recorder is great, but very sensitive to all sounds. And that means all sounds, the mics are great, but record a very wide area. A deadcat for the Zoom H1 is necessary for outdoors, available cheaply from China too: the small one fits perfectly.
    I have the Zoom H1 with a GX7. I made a mount with soft foam between two metal mount plates, one with the male on and the other with female 1/4 threads in. The two plates only connected through one layer of electrician's tape to the side. That works.
    The other option I use is with a separate microphone in the hotshoe. I have a Rode VideoMicro coming today. Small, complete with deadcat and shockmount. The Zoom H1 will serve as a recorder only in this combination.

7. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    Hmm I see... I gave up on the kit.
    How did you made the soft foam mount? Is there anything like it I could buy or the only option is to make it manually?

Regarding the separate microphone in the hotshoe with Zoom H1 as the recorder, where do you put the Zoom H1 then? If it's a recorder only I assume I could use a cheaper recorder instead of Zoom H1?
    I don't it to become a very large setup, it's still used mainly for family videos, nothing professional.

I'm just exploring my options on how improve the audio that comes from the videos I shoot with my GX7, because outdoors in just unbearable (indoors are bad too).

8. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2010
    when using a separate mic in the hotshoe (VideoMicro just arrived, terrific! recording level and sound is about the same as the Zoom H1), the Zoom H1 can be put in a pocket, or clamped to the side. I have a bracket that allows mounting to the side. But that makes it larger. Damn Panasonic for not including a mic port!
    The insulating mount is like I described. Nothing fancy. Just about 2cm foam (the kitchen cleaning type with the rough material on one side) between two mounting rings.

9. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    Any chance you could take a quick photo of your setup with the pic connected to the Zoom H1 and the insulating mount?

10. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    love this phrase

:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  11. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2010
    sure... 2016-06-21 18.04.46. 2016-06-21 18.05.13.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    The mics on the H1 are incredibly sensitive to the slightest movement of air, even indoors. I found that the flow of air from the air conditioning vents could cause a "rumble" in most areas of my house.

I was in on the field testing of windmuff devices for the Zoom H1, most could not kill the rumble of slight wind and breezes outdoors. We found that to adequately do the trick we had to fully enclose the whole H1 body. Below is the video test I did of the final prototype that became the "WindJacket". Unfortunately the company is no longer in business, it was a family outfit and there was some kind of event that caused them to have to drop off the scene. But you can make one from what you see in this video (click "watch on vimeo").

Long "fur" is essential. About 2" long is enough to "bleed off" wind energy in up to 25 to 30MP. You still get some normal wind sounds but the "rumble" and "roar" is gone. The foam screen is from Windtech (www.windtech.tv).

I also agree on the Videomic Pro from Rode as an excellent idea. The deadcat windmuff made for it that fits over the foam windscreen is quite effective in light outdoor winds. I use one both direct into the mic input of a GH4, G7, or into a Tascam DR60D if I don't want to mess with a shotgun mic.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    That's a nice setup you have going on there, thanks for the pics! I think I'll go with Videomic Pro + H1.
    Thanks for your thoughful input, I will be going with Videomic Pro + H1.

Thank you!

14. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I don't know what you are doing but I often use my phone and a smart lav for clients and sync in Final Cut Pro. I have kept an old Samsung just for this purpose and use RecForge App to record with (can do a sound check before recording). You might find this useful sometimes.

15. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    Do you find the sound recorded from the phone better than recorder from the camera?

Sent from my SM-G935F

16. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    • Like Like x 1
  17. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2010
    videomic pro needs a battery!

18. CharlieL

CharlieL Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2014
    Burkburnett Tx USA
    Charlie
    I have had this 3d printed mount for a few years I use it to mount my h1 to my cameras. I sync the sound in post. I would say it is good but not a great set up. I monitor through earbuds hooked to h1.

My home made dead cat is a circle of fake furr from the craft store and a hair band.
    P1060877small. P1060878small. P1060880small.

19. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Yes, sound is much better from the phone as the sound hasn't echoed around the room. If you have some old earplugs that have the mic in them you can make your own lav to give it a try. The SmartLav from Rode has very good quality but make sure it is the second edition of it as the first ones floor noise was crazy.

20. bengtb

bengtb Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2013
    I have the Zoom H1 and a very furry windshield from Zoom. The problem with the Zoom H1 is that THE BODY is sensitive to wind. Just covering the microphones are not enough. It's actually not suitable for outdoor use, only indoor. There is a Youtube video where a guy uses a straw to check where the H1 is sensitive to wind. The body is so sensitive that it makes it worthless outside if it's not completely still and it never is outside!

Don't use the H1 outdoors or you'll be sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

• Informative Informative x 1