1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using Wasabi Charger with Olympus Batteries?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dolphinjon, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    I've been searching the forum for an answer to if you can use the Wasabi charger with Olympus batteries for my E-M10II, or if the Olympus charger can be used with Wasabi batteries. I've had no luck in my search. So does anyone use the batteries and chargers interchangeably?
    I mainly ask because the Olympus charger is obnoxiously big, and the Wasabi charger is actually portable.

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    They warn you not to, and that may be a liability thing, but I think some have without issue, but I never swap chargers/batteries personally. Not worth the risk. I believe it may increase risk of batteries swelling. I don't know there is a 100% truth answer you are looking for, but I would not swap them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    Thanks! I haven't been swapping them yet, and I suspected it would be better not to. It's not the answer I want, but it's the answer I was leaning towards anyway. :)

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I like the wasabi charger better for travel and if anything I'd put an Oly battery in it, rather than visa versa, but I'm still not going to. I've been using Wasabi's for about 3 years and they have held up well.

5. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I use the Progo charger (appears to be the same as the Wasabi) interchangeably with Oly/Progo batteries. Never noticed a difference but never bothered with any kind of scientific check. I take the Progo's with me on trips because the charger is more convenient.

edit: one of these makes the Oly charger less bulky.

51aLvzG0iCL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    Like @PacNWMike@PacNWMike , I use the 3rd party charger with my OEM batteries. I have never put 3rd party batteries in the Olympus charger. The Olympus charger doesn't fit in my carry bag the as nicely, even with the right-angle plug adapter. I've never noticed any difference in charge.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I have mixed batteries and chargers for AA and AAA batteries without issue.

8. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I like the idea of making the Olympus charger less bulky. Y'all are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

9. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I use them interchangeably with no adverse results. In fact, once the Wasabi kit arrives, I bury the manufacture charger back in my storage hole and always use the Wasabi battery chargers because as you noted they are much smaller. I have been doing that for years with Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic and Fuji batteries. Here is an image showing how I labeled the ones I had at the time this photo was taken. A few of those have gone and been replaced by chargers for the cameras I am now using. Camera%20Battery%20Charger%20Label%20003a.JPG Here is another photo I posted to bring attention to the fact that while the tops of the Wasabi chargers can be removed, not all bases put out the same voltage so mixing and matching is NOT an option.
    Camera%20Battery%20Chargers%20002a.JPG

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Jersey devil

Jersey devil Mu-43 Regular

Mar 5, 2015
    As stated above, I've used the OEM Olympus batteries in my Wasabi charger and never had a problem. However, it's not recommended to use the Wasabi batteries in the Olympus charger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Same here, rarely use the Oly charger, pretty much just use the Wasabi charger. I do keep it out just in case I'm in a hurry and want to charge more than one battery at a time. With my Panasonic bodies (since the chargers are also direct plug ins) I use them pretty much interchangeably. Though I guess I probably (subconsciously) stick the Pan battery in the Pan charger and Wasabi battery in it's charger.

12. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Whenever I have purchased a new Olympus camera I immediately order the Wasabi "kit" that includes a cordless charger and two batteries for the camera. That gives me three batteries and very convenient charger for, as someone said, travel and just simple packing in one's bag. I never even unpack the included Olympus charger. So far (several cameras later) I have had no issues.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    I love the idea of not even using the Olympus charger. My wife, daughter, and I are on the road a great deal. The less I pack, the happier I am

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Koru

Koru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I have used my Wasabi charger for Oly batteries with no problems.
    My wife is off with my E-M1 on a trek in a week, and taking the Wasabi charger instead of the Olympus is a no brainer for the space it saves. And awkward cord. So I double checked the Blue Nook site, and they say this is fine.
    Don

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  16. rChaz

rChaz Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2012
    NYC Region
    The 3rd party chargers (all seem the same?) top out ~8.4v instead of the Oly charger's ~8.7v & won't charge the OEMs fully (above the 8.4v.) So if not in a pinch, for best results (full capacity charge) charge OEMs in the OEM charger.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    My Watson duo charger will charge OEM batteries to 8.59v (rested, measured under 1A load using a Fluke multimeter) and aftermarket to 8.28v (same test conditions as OEM), with no load the measurements are slightly higher.

It's actually a pretty large charger however it charges two batteries at once (can take batteries for different cameras at the same time) and has a 2A USB port. This offsets me having to bring a USB charger (and second charger, if I have a second battery type). It also has a socket for 12v in which lets me to use it in my car while traveling if needed.

• Useful Useful x 2
  18. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

As long as the input/output voltages and current is the same, there won't be a problem...

19. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I am shooting Pannys and have bought a number of the "Wasabi" type aftermarket chargers. I also have an MSEE. Conclusions:
    • The same charger is sold under many brand names. There is nothing special about one with the "Wasabi" name. It seems that there is only one manufacturer.
    • The battery trays are indeed easily removable. Just slide them "downwards" as if you are pulling the battery contacts away from upper part of the base, which is what you are doing. There are convenient thumb grips provided for this, but I have never seen this feature advertised nor have I seen the trays sold separately. The feature is apparently intended only to simplify and minimize manufacturer inventories.
    • The bases are apparently made with different output voltages, though all of mine have been clearly marked (under the tray) 8.4volts. So you can indeed "mix and match" trays on a single base as long as all the trays you use want the same voltage. (My guess is that the trays and bases are keyed to prevent mismatches, but I don't know this for a fact. Maybe someone with two different voltage bases can say.)
    • There are some variations in the bases. Some have a socket that takes a 12 volt cigar lighter cord. I always try to buy this type just for good luck, though I don't recall ever having to charge a battery in a car.
    • Panny's OEM chargers are larger and sometimes corded, which is an issue for me when traveling. I can't recall actually using one, though. They stay in the box when I get a new camera and I buy the aftermarket charger(s) and batteries as needed. Often when traveling I carry more trays than I carry bases.
    • The chargers work fine with all my batteries, regardless of brand, including OEM Panny batteries.
    HTH

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    I'll try to remember to check on this one evening this week. I have the charger style you're talking about for both the BLN1 and LI90B batteries; the latter is for my Olympus TG4 camera. The BLN1 charger is 8.4V as you mention and the LI90B charger is 4.2V. On my last trip through I didn't carry the LI90B charger since the TG4 will charge from a USB power source.