Using VSCO to grade film.

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by GFFPhoto, Jun 10, 2014.

1. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I have a tech question, I hope someone can answer it. I have used VSCO to grade clips by importing the clips into LR and using the library panel to do quick edits, but I have also read about people importing their video as a series of stills and batch processing those stills. I use LR5 and FCPX on an iMac. Can anybody explain this process (both export and import, as well as how to reconstruct those stills back into a video clip)? I'd like to try grading with the better control offered by the develop module. I've looked on Google, but wasn't able to find an article that didn't gloss over steps that might be obvious to someone who is more experienced, but wasn't quite clear to someone still learning.
  2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    I believe grading in the Library module is the only way.
    Not sure how the batch processing of your video as a series of stills would go...I imagine you'd be looking at possibly (likely) many thousands of stills.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    I know its possible in Photoshop (never trĂ­ed myself) but Im not sure about lightroom.
    I process raw video in Adobe Camera Raw but I open it in After Effects which then open ACR and it only takes one frame but apply my settings to the whole batch (clip).
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks guys, I know its possible, and I actually figured out how to export as stills, but still don't know how to reconstruct it (and you are correct Joe, it was thousands of lo-res JPEGs). Here is a film some guys made using that process.
  7. Actionscripter

Actionscripter New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2014