Using two Godox V860II guns in a portable studio setup

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi all.

A quick question I hope.

If I was to use 2 or more Godox v860ll guns in a small portable studio using TTL mode triggered by one of their XPro trigger units, is it possible to control the lighting ratio, or do they all provide full TTL for all guns. I don't think the dial on the back of the gun provides exposure compensation when the gun is in slave mode, can the ratios be controlled by the XPro trigger.

Or do I have to be in manual mode for this level of control.

Thanks for any input on this.

Paul

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Ok, answered it myself. RTFM. Yes the ratio of each TTL gun can be adjusted from the master trigger is XPro

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If I was to use 2 or more Godox v860ll guns in a small portable studio using TTL mode triggered by one of their XPro trigger units, is it possible to control the lighting ratio, or do they all provide full TTL for all guns.
Both. :)

The thing is that the ratio control is not typical A:B ratio control (i.e., setting 4:1 or something), it's basically FEC adjustments per group. Because on an XPro, you can mix TTL and M groups together, so setting 4:1 if Group B is in M is essentially meaningless. You also should used matched lights (not sure it'll work if, say, you mix a V860 II and an AD200).

If you want to use TCM, you'll also have to make sure that the XPro's TCM C.Fn setting matches the type of lights you're using.

But if, say, you want to use Group A for your key, and Group B for your fill, at a 4:1 ratio, then setting Groups A and B to TTL and Group A to 0EV, and B at -2EV will give you a 4:1 ratio. Also, while the XPro can control 16 separate groups, the V860 II-Os can only be set to groups A-C. I think only the V860 II-C can be set to groups A-E. TT600s (Manual single-pin speedlights) can also e set to A-E.

... Or do I have to be in manual mode for this level of control.
You don't, but sometimes some folks find it simpler and easier than using TTL, particularly when you increase the number of groups.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom