1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Using the Sigma 19mm f2.8 the first time: some experiences

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by JoFT, Nov 29, 2015.

1. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Within my investigation about the "Nifty-Fifty" equivalent in the µ43 lens I got a tryout with the Sigma 19m f2.8.

Having the 30mm f2.8 already their was no big surprise but quite a bit of applause to Sigma: offering our community a remarkable good lens for a fair price..

I do have a couple of photos integrated into the blog entry. It would be nice to get some comments on it.

µ43 for Photographic Beginners Part 4: Sigma 19mm f2.8 A

My verdict:
    First of all: The Sigma 19mm is a good lens - here I have no doubt. It has a remarkable good price performance ratio. It is a recommendation for beginners who want to have a good lens which is faster than than the kit lenses. It is fun to use it.

But there are limitations as well. With f f2.8 an 19mm we are talking in terms get bokeh comparable to 38mm f5.6 under Full Frame conditions. This means that the hyperlocal condition starts somewhat around 8,5m - and for subjects in 1m distance the Depth of field is nearly 24cm... Not really perfect conditions for creamy bokeh...

For me having the phantastic Panaleica 15mm f1.7: This will remain my lens of choice. It is smaller, it has more than 1 f-stop more speed and it is comparably sharp with amazing color rendering....

Here som samples:
    p1819805989-6.

Quite selective in terms of bokeh
    p1870489177-6.

And here some night shots...

p1820728345-6.

p1858724687-6.

2. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I own this lens too.
    I use it mostly if I want my body + lens to be small. For instance when I take my camera with my bike. In these cases it is a replacement for my 12-40 or SMC Pentax lenses. The lens performs better as a lens than yours truly does as a photographer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    It's my favorite lens on m4/3. I've had both the first version and the ART version and can tell no difference in optical performance, though for aesthetics, the ART matches my EM5 quite nicely.

It's my "go-to" lens for 'normal' situations.

4. Gerard

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
  5. Gerard

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
  6. Gerard

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
  7. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Can you tell me what you mean?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.